3. Becoming attached

X’s p.o.v

After two days of complete uselessness I decided to contact L. I arranged a meeting and sat in my office waiting for her call. Right on time…

“X on the line.” I answered smiling.

“Is it just me or you sound cheerful?” L asked.

“These damn voice changers make you think all kinds of stuff. Me cheerful? Nah.”

“So what is then the reason for your dreadful mood?” Sarcasm didn’t escape her.

“As a matter of fact I just happened to solve the case.”

“What?” She sounded alarmed instead of happy.

“Are you alright L?”

“You solved the case?”

“No. But I am very surprised from your reaction. Weren’t you supposed to be happy if we did solve the case?”

“Yes. We or me. Not you.”

“Now, should I be insulted?”

“No, of course not. This has nothing to do with you.”

“Of course.” I suddenly felt very pleased to have figured out her plan.

“Of course what?”

“So that’s why you were alarmed. You want to be the first one to solve the case and then everyone will be so astonished you solved it without my help and they recruit you. You are looking for a job!”

After a second of silence she spoke. “I would have come up with another theory but what’s the use. Yes I do want a job.”

“High ambitions.” I added.

“High ambitions for a highly intelligent person.” I could swear she almost sang that part.

“Well if that’s really the only thing that worries you, your problem is solved.”

“It is?”

“Yes. I will recommend you for a job here, after we solve the case.”

“Oh. Now I feel bad.”

“Like I said. The problem is solved. The only thing you need to focus on, it’s the case.”

“Yes, well. I tried not focusing but I never got the illumination I was hopping for.”

“Me neither.” Suddenly one of the secretaries came in and left a piece of cake on my desk quietly walking out.

“Oh.” I sighed getting my hands on the cake.

“What?”

“I just got this big piece of cake and I haven’t eaten anything more delicious in a while.

“Ugh. Don’t talk about that. Now you got me thinking about food.”

“I think I taste cinnamon frosts over this dark chocolate part. And then, what is this? Looks like strawberry pieces but there is something else that makes the taste interesting. I think its butterscotch. It really is delicious.” I observed the cake carefully and put a piece in my mouth.

“I will hang up if you don’t stop talking.” She said annoyed.

“I think the last cake I ate it was a luxurious layer cake. With a fabulous bittersweet filling.  The chocolate cake was topped and filled with rich vanilla butter cream and crunchy bits of oreo cookies mixed in, finished off with a coconut layer around the sides. Perfect with a glass of milk. It reminded me of childhood.”