212. Article

Ian Somerhalder: Emotional Instagram post on Mother's Day

Ian Somerhalder owes a lot to his wife, Nina Somerhalder. In an Instagram post for her on Mother's Day, he thanked her.

Ian Somerhalder (42) owes his life to his wife, Nina Somerhalder. The "Vampire Diaries" actor describes how she saved him from the most difficult times in an emotional Instagram post on Mother's Day. The "FAM" actress helped him out of a "terrible business situation" in which he was heavily indebted.

"This mama. This human," writes Somerhalder about a picture that shows the couple snuggled together. "What many of you don't know: this woman is the reason why I was able to build the company," explains the actor.

"I've never spoken about it publicly, but this woman worked selflessly for two years to help me out of a dire business situation I got myself into," says Somerhalder.

Before the two became a couple, he invested in a company and fell on his nose financially. The actor admits that he lost an eight-figure sum of money with the collapse of the oil industry. But Nina Somerhalder (Dobrev) stayed by his side the whole time. "This woman decided that she didn't want her husband to ruin his mind and body, and so she did everything possible to find a way out and get me out of this mess."

"She dedicated her life to me"

"I am where I am because this woman stood by my side. Through her, I was able to start my life again," reveals Ian Somerhalder. "I owe her my health, my life, and my sanity."

Ian Somerhalder and Nina Somerhalder rekindled their relationship by going public on December 2017, the couple got engaged in February 2018, and the wedding followed in March of the same year. On July 2 2018, Nina gave birth to the couple's first child, a daughter, whom they named Blaire Skye followed by their two sons, Arrow Alexander and Duncan Milo both in 2019 and 2020 respectively.