Chapter 13: caradhras

Rowan was cold. This was not something she enjoyed.

Drudging up the western slope of Caradhras, a bitter wind surged down from the summit, as if the mountain itself was offended by her imposition and trying to keep her away. She couldn't really blame the mountain; if she saw a group of bedraggled travellers cavorting her way, she'd probably try to blow them down a ravine as well.

The force of the wind made her face smart and she could feel the cold biting her flesh even through her cloak and leathers. Great chunks of snow tipped into the tops of her boots and dripped determinedly down her calves. It was grossly uncomfortable.

Legolas however, was rather well-travelled for an elf, though certainly more well-travelled than his companions. Elves tended to be quite isolationist, preferring to stick to the elven kingdoms and ignore the rest of Middle Earth which was, after all, dank and malodorous. But Legolas, while agreeing with his brethren that most of Middle Earth was exceedingly grimy and its inhabitants ill-bred, was rather fond of travel.

This was a cold unlike anything she had ever experienced and Rowan wondered whether it was too late to turn back and take the North-South Road to the Westfold. Surely it was safer in the clutches of Saruman than in the clutches of this wind. So consumed was she in her private misery that Rowan tripped over her own feet and went tumbling down the slope. When she finally came to a stop, wet and disheveled, she looked mildly alarmed, as if she didn't quite understand what had happened. She heard Gimli chuckle behind her and she turned to give him a deadly glare. Legolas hurried down to her and reached out to help her out of the snow. She muttered her thanks but avoided making eye-contact in case she found mockery there.

Rather than retaking her usual position at the rear, Rowan walked side-by-side with Gimli. After a time of silence which, if not companionable, was not actively unpleasant either, Gimli said, "you fell." Rowan gave her a sidelong glare, "I noticed... I was there."

"That wasn't very... elf-y."

"Excuse me?"

"I thought elves were graceful and sure-footed... just seemed abnormally clumsy for an elf is all." Rowan scrunched up her nose but did not deign to answer. If Rowan thought that her silence would dissuade Gimli from continuing, she was mistaken. "You're a bit short for an elf," continued the dwarf. "I thought elves were all tall, willowy things."

"I hope you haven't forgotten Gimli, I am partially elf but mostly human." Rowan laughed, looking back at her brother who was having a deep conversation with Legolas then she turned her gaze to Boromir who looked like he was exhausted from having to look after the Hobbits. Rowan was swiftly losing patience with this conversation. "And I thought dwarves were all excellent pathfinders," she bit back, "and yet back in the lowlands you repeatedly led us in circles."

"I think you'll find I was charting the safest course," Gimli replied with more than a touch of defensiveness in his voice. "Our journey is perilous and secrecy is paramount. I purposefully took us on a circuitous route to confuse any spies that may have been tracking us."

"You were lost."

Gimli tried to come up with some biting retort but all she could come up with was, "shut up, elf-human..." Rowan laughed to herself. "Why do we have to bring Rowan? A woman is bad luck on an adventure like this!" Gimli grumbled to himself and Rowan kicked him jokingly. "And dwarves are woman repellent. Didn't you know?" Rowan sniggered back before she made her way over to Boromir and the hobbits. 

"You look like you need to help.." Rowan pointed out when she reached them. Boromir sighed, "Yes, I just need to eat." He laughed whilst holding his hand to his head. Rowan did the same and mocked him before they both burst into laughter. Legolas noticed but quickly turned away. "That reminded me, I need to talk to Gandalf about second breakfast, elevensies and ohh... afternoon tea." Pippin chuckled as he ran over to the wizard who was leading the way. Poor Gandalf.