Chapter 1- The town by the sea

The air was fresh, clear and warm, in fact it was one of the warmest summers ever recorded. The ground was so hot is shivered and swayed if you looked too far into the distance.

Arya was never one for hot weather, she was born in Britain so she wasn't used to this unusual weather but she didn't mind a little heat every once and awhile. She'd tied her brown hair into a messy pony-tail to keep the heat off her neck, it was so thick that it became heavy and hard to keep. Arya found it easier to just keep it back and out of her face.

She watched the fields pass like they were scenery for a movie, it felt unreal, being stuck at home made her forget the world like it was before. She was on her way to one of her favourite places, every time was better than the last. It held so many memories and wasn't far from her home town in the east-midlands.

It was a small town by the sea, wells-next-the-sea. She had been ever since she was young, staying in many hotels and pubs dotted around the quaint town. Though this time would be different because they had brought their accommodations with them.

Her parents had bought a new caravan, they'd been wanting one for a long time, that too had memories in itself. Times they used to go away together all over the country. This holiday though was a break, to escape the dull and dreary mood back home.

The towns blissful spirit filled the air, where people were lining up outside shops and food stands. Many in barely any clothing from the extreme heat. Arya watched from the coolness of the car. She payed close attention to the arcades, they were a big part of her early childhood. The colours and lights made the child inside her smile and remembered the many hours spent inside those places.

Her music played lightly in the back, it was some sort of 80s or 90s song, she couldn't remember which one. There was a fair setting up, as Arya and her family passed through the town, it had different rides all set out waiting for people to come and ride them. Everything about that place felt like a second home. The joy and prosperity made everyone lift up and forget about all their worries even if it was for a few days.

"I think it's just down here" a light voice spoke, it was Arya's mum, she was pointing down a long road, if her memory was right, it lead to the site, close to the beach. Other caravans were now in on the horizon.

"Can you get that dog to sit down? He's driving me mad" a lower voice came out, her dad. He gave a quick glance to Arya, who sat in the back.

Next to her was storm, their family dog who'd come with them. His tail wagged contently like he was waiting to be let out of the vehicle. His body was long and black, with white splashes, quite unusual.

"Leave him alone, he just wants to stretch his legs" her mum defended, giving him a brief look.

"We all do"

They came into the caravan site, it's path weaved through the spots with and without caravans in them. They came to and empty spot that they had booked and so they parked up and began to unpack.

Over the other side of the path was some trees and the toilets. It's was peaceful there, like the town but more still, like time went slower there. Arya could feel the tranquility, it was going to be a good holiday.

Eventually everything was set, the awning was up, water running and their food in the fridge. Arya's dad had a beer in his hand and was leaning over the door. Puffs of vapour came from his mouth as he smoked his vape, it was strange, the smell
was sweet unlike the usual cigarette counterpart.

Arya took a deep breath and watched the children ride their bikes around the site. Inside, her mum was cooking food, seemed to be an assortment of meats and other foods they were familiar with.

It's smell radiated out across the site, mixed with BBQs from other families, who'd had the same idea.

Arya sat down, watching the sun set over the lands. She heard a short sound, it came from her phone. A text from someone, she picked it up to further inspect who it was.

The name read Matt, his text was short but Arya knew as soon as she read the name what he wanted. He'd text her to see how she was, this was the third time that day.

She sighed and began to reply her usual response.

-I'm ok, how are you x-

It was quick and snappy but did the job. She watched the loading bar go across the screen of her phone, waiting for it to send. It didn't.

"Damn it" she muttered in frustration. Her mum looked over at her and then the phone,"i can't send any messages here".

"Let me guess your boyfriend text you" she smiled slightly and looked back to cooking some meat.

Arya nodded, sometimes she wished he wasn't her boyfriend, the last few months she'd realised how much of an ass he'd become. With one last sigh she placed her phone, face first on the side. She didn't pick it up again that evening.

It was a humid night, Arya tossed and turned, she sat up unable to get any rest. In the darkness she could see the silhouette of her parents in bed across the other side of the caravan. It was small after all and you didn't get much privacy but you didn't really need it in a place like that.

Her eyes glanced to the blind that sat above her pillow. She raised it so that a small slit of moonlight came flooding through.

She peeked out of it to see the glowing moon high in the sky. There were subtle clouds flying the sky. She opened the window slightly to get some air into the room, hoping it would help her fall asleep.

Moments passed as she looked out the window, she could feel her body begin to shut down. She closed the window and blind she had opened and pulled the sheets back over her body and closed her eyes...

 She closed the window and blind she had opened and pulled the sheets back over her body and closed her eyes

—Hiya, it's nice to meet you, my name is Erin and I'd like to thank you for reading my new story. I hope you enjoyed it, these first few chapter will start to introduce you to the setting and get to know characters. My plan is to upload a chapter every few days. It would be great to hear your comments and thoughts in the chat but thank you again for reading and I'll see you in the next chapter x —
-E