Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Mister Davidson, you have a visitor." The intercom snarled. Jack was silent. He had been bed ridden for a week. Reliving every moment of his life that had been forced into his mind all at once.

"Knock knock Frosty." Theo's cheery voice sang.

"Hey." Jack moaned, rolling on his side to face the wall.

There was a Rolling Stones song playing on the stereo in the corner.

"How are you?" Theo said, turning Mick Jagger's voice down just a touch so conversation was easy.

"I remember my taste in music so that's good." Jack mumbled. Theo sat down on the bed and patted Jack's shoulder.

"I know this has been unbelievably hard on you bud." He claimed. Jack was quiet. "But we all miss you."

Jack sat up and looked at his friend.

"I know. I know that I should be able to get out of bed and go back to training. I know that I should be happy that my life hasn't been nearly as traumatic as any of you guys. I know that I'm being pathetic. But I can't do it, Theo. It's killing me." He explained.

"Have you thought about therapy?" Theo asked. Jack shook his head.

"Therapy's pretty much the only thing I haven't thought about this week." He admitted.

"Maybe it could help. Angel is still pondering the decision to regain her memories and if she sees you like this, I think she might be pressured to say no." Theo replied.

"She... She needs to remember her parents. It's not fair that she doesn't." Jack stammered. Angel was a tough subject.

~

The next morning, after discussion with an intercom lady, a therapist was in Jack's room. A wide set woman named Dallas, sat in the desk chair across from Jack's bed where he sat.

"So when did you start feeling depressed?" Dallas asked.

"No doctor, I'm not depressed, I've just been kind of down lately..." Jack explained.

"Actually Jack, the symptoms you've listed are strong symptoms of clinical depression." She stated. Jack looked at his hands.

"I was given a memory restoring treatment about a week ago. I experienced all of the good, the bad and the confusing I've ever felt in my life in a period of an hour. It was really hard for me. Seeing all of my mistakes, everything that ever scared me, everything I wish I could change about myself all at once. Now I feel horrible because I'm scaring my girlfriend who might have the same procedure done." Jack explained.

"Jack, an experience like that is not your fault. I believe you'll be able to surpass this and resume your regular life in no time." Dallas claimed.

Jack looked down again.

Dallas put a hand on his shoulder.

"And I'll help you."

~

Jack was pardoned from training, but after a while, he was free to go and see his friends again.

His first day out, he wore sweatpants and a hoodie. He looked at himself in the mirror and sighed at the scruff and mess of hair he saw looking back at him.
His eyes were sunken and his face tired.
He swallowed his anti-depressant and left the bathroom.

The dining hall bustled with its usual mess of sounds. Jack quickly found his friends. They all stood up and hugged him. Angel kissed him. He smiled at her.