Chapter 8: Misperception

Picking me up off the ground, Talion pulls the sword from the dirt and throws it onto the ground. Our nerves are frayed, nothing seems real and we could have easily died last night. Looking around, our clothes are gone, and as we stand here naked, Talion grabs my arm.

Talion shouts, "Why do you have a bandage on your side?"

"Oh, that's right... Dan stabbed me in the side after I saved him." I state.

He snaps back and says, "What?"

"I thought they were about to kill you, here in this circle and I saved him," I explain, and he stares at me for a moment.

Talion replies, "We need to get inside, and then we are going to discuss all of this."

Scooping me up, he carries me to the house. Looking back at the circle garden, I can't believe what happened last night.

We made love right there in the center of my neighborhood. What came over me to do something so outlandish?

"What was that all about? It seemed like a wedding ceremony or something." I say as he smiles at me.

Talion answers, "Yes, it looks like they have accepted our marriage. At first, I thought we were in serious trouble, but then I heard their words and knew this was a celebration. Once they set the ring of torches and when they offered their swords, I knew what was happening."

Thinking about all of this, I ask, "So, are we in any danger?"

"Well, the blade sticking out of the earth screams yes, but he could have killed us. Something or someone stopped him. Right now, they are pleased with us, but that's if we stay. Dan, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about it. He was obviously enraged that they allowed you to become my wife. Now, he will never back down, and I worry something will go on. That was his sword. He could have ended all of this while we slept, but it was a message to me that this is not over." He explains.

Walking up to the door, Talion sets me down as he tries the handle, and it's locked. We sneak around to the back door and that is too. It looks like all the windows are all boarded up, but Talion's determined. Next, we go to the side door and it's locked as well. Returning to the front, there is no way in, and Dan must have done this on purpose.

It is his house, but this is my home.

"Cece, it looks like we are not getting in, and I think you and I should go back to the other house. What do you say, wife, up for some streaking?" Talion says with that smirk.

Before I even answer, he looks at my side again.

I reply, "I'm fine. The Russians stitched me up, and it doesn't even hut. Plus, it looks like we have no other choice, my husband. It can't be more than 6 a.m. so we better get moving."

"I'm sorry... Did you just say those murderers stitched you up? Let me see it." He hollers.

Taking the bandage off, he gets down on his knees and this is rather uncomfortable.

We are in the front yard naked and he's on his knees. Then again, last night...

"Baby, there is only a scratch." He says as I look down.

Feeling it with my hands, I'm confused. He's right, and this makes little sense.

"That was last night, or was it the night before when you came over here to do the tarp?" I ask.

He looks at me and says, "It was the night before... I think. After I left you and came here, I went to Josh's house. The tapes... Shit, they're gone. Anyway, I came to the house and went up the stairs. Someone, probably Dan or maybe the Russians, hit me in the head and knocked me out cold. When I woke up, I was chained to a chair at the Funeral Home."