Immortals Chapter 29 - Worth It

Sasuke couldn't control it. He let out a growl as his eyes swiftly transitioned into their Sharingan. Karin wasn't bothered by it in the slightest.

"What are you doing here?" Sasuke growled, his hands balling into fists. "I didn't invite you here."

"Kakashi invited me," was Karin's ever-smug reply. She was smiling at him, fluttering her lashes. "Aren't you happy to see me here?"

Sasuke leaned towards her, a dangerous gaze flashing through his eyes. "Did you not get the message when I told you to get the fuck out of my territory?"

"I don't understand why you're being so hostile." Karin said softly, lifting her hands. She placed one in his shoulder, the other against his chest. "I mean, you love it when I'm near. I don't understand why you suddenly hate my presence."

Sasuke took hold of her wrists, pushing her hands away. He scoffed, closing his eyes as he shook his head. "No, I don't hate your presence, Karin," he said, to which her smile widened. When he opened his eyes, they were deadly serious, and the look in his eyes would terrify anyone. "I absolutely detest everything about you. Now fuck off."

He shoved past her frozen, shocked self, continuing on to where he'd seen Ayame. He came to an abrupt halt as he realised she was gone. He turned to look at Karin, wondering if she'd done anything, but Karin was still shocked by his words.

Reaching out, he took the arm of a waiter, pulling him to a stop. "Have you seen Ayame?" Sasuke asked, keeping his voice low.

"She's right over there, sir-" the waiter turned to point, but it was at the same place Sasuke had noticed she wasn't at. "Uh...I'm sorry, sir, I'm afraid I don't know."

Sasuke growled, releasing his arm. Where had she gone?

He breathed an intake of the surrounding smells. He could smell her faintly, but with all the mixing scents of other humans, as well as other smells such as food and drink, it was difficult to pinpoint her location.

Making his way back over to Kakashi, he pulled him aside. "Have you seen Ayame anywhere?" He asked, to which Kakashi shrugged.

"I'm sorry, Sasuke, I've been talking to people this entire time. I wouldn't have a clue," Kakashi answered, shaking his head.

"Damn it..." Sasuke's hand balled into a fist as it fell back to his side. Ignoring people as they began calling after him to talk to him, he made his way through the crowd, going to the kitchen where it was quiet. Only himself and staff were allowed in there, so it helped clear his mind. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and concentrated on her scent alone. He let out a sigh of relief when he could sense her outside.

But his eyes grew wide when he sensed someone else out there too.

***

Ayame ran a hand down her face. Why was Karin here? Moreover, why was Ayame here? She didn't belong here at all, and seeing Karin here, with Sasuke, just made that fact more obvious to her. She'd tried denying it before, but now it was virtually impossible.

She turned when she heard footsteps to her right. When she glanced up to see a woman, she looked back down, pretending to just be examining the grounds from a distance. Then, she did a double take, eyes widening when she saw it was not just any woman, but Uzumaki Karin standing a few feet away from her.

"You're Ayame?" Karin asked, her voice clear and confident.

"I might be." Ayame said softly in response, feeling her voice quivering. Was she that angry at this unknown woman in front of her that she was shaking with anger?