4

Time flew really fast. It was now afternoon and my parents had just returned home after hours of being out. Me and Rye were in his room. He was laying down and I was sitting with my legs crossed across from him. We were listening to music and rating the songs as we laughed while agreeing on some of them.

"Andy? Rye?" I heard my dad shout from downstairs.

"Yeah?" Rye and I said at the same time and turned to look at each other as we burst out laughing.

"Where are you?" He shouted back. His steps could be heard meaning he was coming upstairs.

"In Rye's room." I turned my head to look at the door as soon as I heard it open to look at my dad.

"Andy, can you come downstairs for a little bit? Your mom and I want to talk to you about something." I turned to look at Rye who was already looking at me.

"Go!" He quickly looked at my dad and back at me.

"Are you sure?" I asked and he quickly nodded.

"Yes, I'll be here. Just go." Rye shooed me with his hand. I got up and followed my dad after closing the door to his room behind me.

I walked downstairs to see my dad walking into the kitchen, where I assumed my mom was to make dinner.

"What's up?" I asked as I pushed myself up and sat on the island in the middle of the room.

"Rye's parents were in a car accident at the place they went for vacation." My mom spoke straight up, not trying to hide anything.

"WHAT?!" I shouted as my jaw dropped. My heart immediately dropped at the thought of Rye finding out about this. He would be a mess.

"Don't shout. We don't want Rye to hear us. We still haven't figured out a way to bring it up to him." My dad looked straight at me.

"Sorry." I said quietly as I bit my lip.

"Your mom and I want to visit them at the hospital where they are for a while to see how they are doing. Rye might have to stay with us longer than just summer. His dad is not doing so well." My dad said as I nodded.

"Yeah, you should definitely go see them. I'll be here for Rye while you are gone, I'm sure he will be a mess once he finds out." I spoke as I looked down then back at them.

"We're thinking of telling him at dinner because we are planning on leaving right after." My mom said and I felt a knot in my stomach. This would absolutely break Rye and I wasn't ready for it. I jumped down and went back upstairs to see what Rye was up to see since dinner would be ready soon. I knocked on the door softly.

"Come in." I heard as I twisted the knob and walked in, closing the door behind me.

"Hey. What are you up to?" I asked as he was still laying in bed where I left him but he was on his phone.

"Scrolling through social media because I'm bored." He said without looking up as he was too focused on whatever he was reading or watching.

"Dinner is almost ready. Let's go eat." I said and then he got up from the bed. I opened the door and walked outside as he followed behind.

We went downstairs and outside where my parents had almost finished setting up the table for dinner. We all sat down and started eating. I looked at my plate and messed with my food. I couldn't eat knowing my parents would tell Rye about his parents soon enough.

"Rye." My dad said making him look up from his plate.

"Yes?" He asked as he hummed and left his fork down on the plate.