CHAPTER 25

By the time Zhenyuan woke up, he had found that Mia was already out of bed and probably in her room. For a vampire who was supposed to have heightened senses, his senses pretty much sucked when he fell asleep.

He turned to the bedside table and was relieved when he noticed that the crown was still resting on it. Mia must have probably forgotten to take it, which was his luck because it gave him more time to inspect it longer. But he would do that later, for now he had to focus on seeming like a normal disciplined teenager. He went into the bathroom and cleaned up, before deciding to walk down the stairs.

'I'm just saying, they have to get rid of those vampires before they get rid of us. They have to find where all these vampires are coming from.' Mia's uncle, Kiki's husband, said over breakfast. 'They should stop waiting for them to show up, they should find their source, that's it!'

'Zhenyuan,' Aunt Kiki turned to him as he came down the stairs. 'Good morning, come have breakfast.'

'Thank you.' he nodded and walked over. He found himself sitting next to the son of the house, who greeted him after everyone else on the table had. He gave Mia a small smile rather than a greeting. Zhenyuan then looked at the full English breakfast and picked up his fork to eat along with them.

'I do agree with you, we have to stop those vampires. And I think it's getting scarier now. I just don't understand why they're not closing the schools.' the family's son also commented as well.

Zhenyuan cleared his throat subconsciously then continued to eat.

'Can you stop talking about vampires for one minute?' Aunt Kiki reprimanded.

'They are just rubbish animals...I don't know what else to call them. They should all be killed.'

'Do you think that...maybe not all vampires are bad?' Zhenyuan finally found himself commenting. 'Maybe some are just born vampires but they don't really have the will to hurt people. So if they had to kill all vampires, then maybe innocent vampires would die as well.'

Everyone looked in Zhenyuan's direction as if he was crazy, and some even appeared offended, more especially Mia.

'How can you say that?' Mia finally spoke for the first time that morning, proving that she was very concerned with his statement. 'Mom is in the hospital right now because of those evil vampires.'

Right, Zhenyuan was the cause of that. Even when he didn't want to hurt people, he ended up doing it anyway.

'Son, I get what you're saying.' Mia's uncle spoke. 'I understand, we can illustrate vampires as being wild animals who are bloodthirsty. They're not evil when they're in their habitat, but when out of it, they're harmful. So the problem is that these vampires have left their habitat and are now attacking human beings...that's when they become harmful. And no matter what, as long as they're in this habitat, they're evil.'

'Ah,' Zhenyuan nodded in understanding. 'I see.' and it confirmed to him that he really needed to leave, but where would he go. Besides, he didn't want to leave Mia. 'So Mia, you wouldn't be friends with a vampire if you found out he was really nice? Just a question.' he asked it casually.

'I've hated vampires from the beginning, and trust me, I hate them more even now. So being friends with a vampire? No. I would report them the minute I saw them.' She continued to eat after her statement.

Even though people continued to interact, Zhenyuan was thinking over the words he had heard that morning. Even the Mia he loved wouldn't be friends with a vampire. He was basically born evil without a choice of being good.

...

'Hey Yaxuan, do you wanna meet today? Or maybe you're at Church?' Zhenyuan asked Yaxuan on the phone while sitting outside on the outdoor wooden chairs. 'It's really important.'