27 ~ Confused Confession

"Hmmm

"Hmmm...I'm thinking mid-June would be the best time for you to travel." Robert commented as he leaned back in his desk chair and glanced up and Evelyn as she read over the itinerary they had been working on. "With everything Martha has planned for the two of you that should give you a nice start if you wish to be back before the fall season begins."

She nodded and blinked slowly, deep in thought. "Almost three months...is that too long to be gone?"

Robert shrugged with a gentle smile. "That's not up to me, dear. Though do know that we will all miss your antics ever so."

Evelyn smiled and looked down at her hands.

"Though...I don't think you'll miss us too much."

Her head shot up. "Are you mad? Of course I'll miss you all."

"Don't get so worked up, Evie, that's not what I meant. I know you'll miss us...but there are pieces of your heart scattered outside of this house now as well." He winked knowingly.

"Well...I'll miss Matthew too."

Robert raised an eyebrow. "I wasn't talking about Matthew."

Eyelyn's eyes widened as a furious blush overtook her cheeks. "Oh...well maybe I won't I don't know I do-"

Robert laughed. "Getting worked up again! Of course I was talking about Matthew."

Evelyn glared and huffed.

"I would apologize but your face was worth it so I shan't do that."

Sybil quietly snuck in, catching Evelyn's gaze and smile. Sybil returned the smile before gazing at Robert nervously. "Papa...Can Branson drive me into Ripon on Friday evening?"

Robert shook his head. "I don't think so, no. Not after the last time."

"Oh, please. There's a meeting of my borstal charity. I've missed two and I simply must be there." She insisted.

Robert huffed. "You'd have to take Mary or Edith with you...or Evelyn."

Sybil's eyes lit up as she immediately knew what her best option was. "Evie...?"

Evelyn raised an eyebrow and scanned Sybil's expression...she knew she was lying. Wanting to keep herself out of more drama, she would rather not be caught up in Sybil's lies. "I don't think I'll be much in a borstal charity meeting mood on Friday."

"Please, Evie! Those meetings are deadly at the best of times, and you know what Mary and Edith are like when they're bored." She begged.

Robert stepped in. "Why are all your causes so steeped in gloom?"

"Because it's gloomy things that need our help. If everything in the garden's sunny, why meddle?"

Evelyn caught herself feeling guilty. While she knew Sybil was lying, Sybil's lies would never be for malicious intent like Edith's or Mary's might be. Besides, maybe it would be smart for Sybil to have someone with her - with whatever she was actually planning to do.