39 ~ Homecoming

A/N: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

A/N: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but if I'm not wrong...Cousin Evelyn has the most reads in the entire Downton Abbey category (as of today)! I might cry. Thank you all so so much!

Anyway...let's bring our girl home!

------------------------------

O'Brien worked on Cora's hair, as she did daily, as the two chatted about whatever was of interest at the moment. The letter from France had come in today, Cora not yet realizing that one hadn't come from Evelyn as she had yet to go downstairs. O'Brien, however, knew what had happened as she had received a letter from Thomas.

"How's Thomas coming along? I wish he could be treated at our hospital here." Cora asked.

"Well, it's only for officers," O'Brien mentioned.

"Of course."

"Although, ideally, he'd love to be transferred there to work."

Cora raised a brow. "He won't be sent back to the front?"

"Not with his hand the way it is."

"It's such a pity he isn't under Doctor Clarkson. We might have been able to influence him a bit."

"I should hope so. Why, without this family and all the money you've spent, his precious hospital wouldn't exist at all." O'Brien pressed.

"Perhaps I'll ask his advice, you never know."

O'Brien nodded. "I was sure you'd have a good idea of what to do for the best."

Cora chuckled. "I wouldn't be too sure, but we'll see. Did Thomas say anything about Evelyn? I haven't read her letter yet. I bet she was heartbroken seeing him hurt. They always got on so well."

O'Brien paused her work for a moment. She had been hoping Cora wouldn't have asked. "Yes, milady, he did mention Lady Evelyn."

Cora reached back and stopped O'Brien, worry welling up in her. "And...?"

O'Brien sighed. "...she'll be coming home as well."

----------------

- February 1917 -

Evelyn's eyes fluttered open, she felt weak but had also never felt more alive - like she'd slept for years. Surely that wasn't the case though. Her eyes ventured to the source of most of the ache - her right arm tightly bound in a sling and a bandage stretching from her elbow to her shoulder. She furrowed her brows.

A small gasp caught her ears as Cynthia loomed over her. "Evelyn...oh thank the Lord! Thomas, she's awake!"

Thomas's face sudden loomed over her as well. "Welcome back."

Evelyn groaned and shut her eyes again. She felt rather grumpy but not because she was surrounded by friends - she couldn't be happier about that - but because she had a headache and didn't know what was going on.