29 ~ A broken girl

"Evie!"

"Evie!"

Evelyn shot up in bed and was met with a gruesome, pounding headache. She groaned and buried her sore eyes into her palms. She didn't remember getting back into bed, so she assumed Thomas had done it once she finally managed to go to sleep.

"Evie breakfast is getting cold! You're always down for breakfast at an ungodly hour. Besides, you have to leave soon!" Sybil urged while sitting beside her on the bed and patting her leg.

Evelyn said and lifted her gaze. "I was up late."

"Yes, I know, Anna informed me. What on earth possessed you to move your travel date up today!"

With one hand occupied with her pounding head, the other hand waved at her loud cousin. "Shhhhhhh...."

"Oh...sorry. Anyway, Papa said you didn't give a reason but insisted you leave today."

"Yes."

Sybil raised a brow. "Well...?"

"Well, what?"

"What's the reason?"

"There's no reason. Just excited to go."

Sybil scoffed. "Do you think I'm stupid?"

"No...you can be a dunce sometimes though."

Sybil rolled her eyes and stood up. "You're going to tell me eventually."

"I won't have to be the one to tell you...you'll know."

She sighed, knowing she wouldn't get any more out of Evelyn than that. "Fine. Well, come on. When Mises Patmore found out you were leaving today she insisted on making pan-fried potatoes and had Thomas urge that we weren't allowed to touch them before you got to them. Papas about to attack him." Sybil waltzed out of the room.

Evelyn chuckled and swung her legs over the edge, standing up with wobbly legs and stumbling to her wardrobe to haphazardly throw on a wrinkled dress. She flipped her head over, ruffled her hair, and twisted it into a bun. She knew she looked awful but she would only be a walking personification of her mood this morning.

She eventually made her way into the breakfast room where the family, including Cora (who usually had breakfast in her room every morning) and Violet, sat around the table bickering while Robert read over the paper peacefully.

"Oh, how lovely, Gulliver's travels has arrived," Violet spoke snidely.

Evelyn raised a brow at the odd occurrence that both Cora and Violet would be at their breakfast. "Sorry...was up late. Oh! Potatoes." She shuffled to them, nudging Thomas out of the way.

"Thank the heavens!" Robert rose from his chair and stood behind her eagerly with his plate.

Violet eyed them. "Animals. Both of you."