Chapter 9: Laser Vision

Martha Kent pulled into the high-rise parking lot of her father's Law offices "Clark" and turned off her engine. If her life had gone differently she would probably have been working on the top floor of that building beside her father, no husband and no child. It was not a life she wanted.

Martha hadn't told her father she was coming; she wanted the option to change her mind without disappointing him, even if it was rude to turn up unannounced. The building was as she remembered it, sturdy and classically designed, with tasteful paintings and a clean orderly atmosphere. Everything a law office should be. She walked up to the desk and stated she'd like to see Mr Clark.

"Mr Clark is a very busy man, whom should I say is asking?"

"His daughter."

That got the receptionists attention, his eyes went wide before he swiftly picked up the phone and dialled for the upstairs offices. Martha was asked up immediately.

William Clark's office was almost identical to how she remembered. Presentation was very important to him, so his walls were mahogany panels, his desk chestnut and finely carved and his chair large and chintz. Success was as much about image as it was work, he used to say. William Clark himself had aged; he was completely silver now, when last she saw him he had been salt and pepper. The lines that indicated his age were firmly engraved on him, but Martha could still plainly recognise the man who had raised her. He stood from the desk and walked round it when she came in.

"Martha, this is a surprise, is something wrong?"

Martha stepped forward and hugged him, he hesitated before reciprocating.

"Nothing is wrong Dad, but I wanted to talk to you about something."

William Clark indicated for Martha to sit on the visitors chair and then sat behind his desk, this is how they'd always talked when she was a child, the office chair was his seat of authority and power.

"Do you need money Martha; you know all you have to do is ask me. That husband of yours is too proud but I know you can see sense, I raised you to do what was necessary."

"No Dad, it's nothing like that. It's about Clara, your granddaughter."

William Clark's face changed from one of concern to pride, although he had not seen his granddaughter since she was 5, Martha had kept him up to date on her life. She wrote him regular letters, (carefully edited on her part) and Clara's report cards, drawings and school photos. Jonathan wasn't aware of this, or if he did know he didn't say anything.

"Yes, I read about her rescue of the Luthor boy a few weeks ago. She's not hurt is she?"

"No Dad, not at all, quite the opposite actually. Clara turns 18 in less than a week, I'm sure you know. I think she would love it if you came to the little party we are throwing for her. She's old enough now to decide if she wants contact with you, and I feel that having a relationship with her grandfather is important. Especially as she'll most likely be going to Metropolis University next year, having someone she can turn to if she needs it in the city would be good for her."

William Clark took in her words. He looked at the photograph on his desk, it showed Clara and Martha smiling together, one of the pictures Martha had sent him by letter.

"It's not that I wouldn't love to attend Little Lady, but I have obligations to clients, and Kent and I have never gotten along. It wouldn't be fair to Clara to spoil her birthday with old skeletons. Although, I'm glad you did come, I have something for Clara; it should make her time at Met U a little easier."