FOUR - A NEW MISSION

GIYUU'S POV

A Week Later

Muichirou and I had been released from the infirmary four days back. My wounds were completely healed except for a few scars that would take time to go away. I had begun training harder than usual. "Nine hundred ninety eight! Nine hundred ninety nine! One thousand!" I kept slashing my sword against trees being careful enough to not cut them off because Aoi would have my head on a platter then. The Butterfly Estate was one of the best places to train in and Aoi kept us here since she was afraid we'd get our limbs broken if she let us out of her sight. No one seemed to remember that I was a hashira after all. To get back into my normal routine, I decided to start with what Urokodaki San had taught me when I was a mere trainee under him. I had set up obstacles for myself around the garden and I kept running through them. Although I had set them up myself, I had intentionally made them almost impossible to beat.

My mind wandered to how Kochou was doing. Although she wasn't completely healed, Aoi let her leave the infirmary bed, because unlike us, she could be trusted to take care of herself. ANNOYING. I swung my sword at a few daggers that came flying towards me. The obstacles would only get harder from now on. A large pole came down at me after the deflected daggers cut the ropes that held it and I used it to propel myself over the obstacle ground, right at the ending point. That's when I heard the sound of gleeful laughter. "Well done, Tomioka San! But you do know that your haori is still on the top of the pole over there, right?" I looked at where she was pointing and sure enough, my haori dangled five meters off the ground in the center of the obstacle course. I sighed. I didn't want to have to face all the obstacles again. I would have to remove them before I could get the haori back. She kept laughing. I didn't mind, but it was kind of annoying. Still smiling, she walked back to her room.

After I was done clearing out the garden and retrieving the haori, a Kakushi walked up to me. He looked kind of nervous and I wondered why. "Oyakata Sama is summoning you and Lady Kochou. Can you inform her too? I don't want to have to..." I raised an eyebrow and he realized that he had spoken out loud. Looking flustered, he ran away. I sighed and started walking up to Kochou's room. As I turned the handle and opened the door, it occurred to me that I should have knocked first. Her room was dark, the curtains were pulled shut and she sat at her desk with her head lying on the tabletop. This was uncharacteristic of her. I cleared my throat wondering what to say when she jumped up and said "Ara! Tomioka San! You should always knock before entering a lady's room! I was sleeping!" I just stared at her face which was obviously tear streaked. She smiled at me and said "Can you...leave?" "Oyakata Sama summoned us," I said. "In that case, wait outside. I'll be out in a minute."

She really did take a minute. I assumed she washed her face because when she came out I was almost convinced that the tears I saw, were from the light that entered when I opened her door. As we walked towards the mansion, of course she wouldn't shut up. "Tomioka SAN! Why do you look like someone stole your sword! Can you smile? Isn't the moon lovely tonight?" "Walk faster,"I said. "The first word you speak... and of course you have to say something like that. If I actually start walking faster you'll be lost!" She did speed up after that although her wounds wouldn't let her be at her best. When we reached the mansion, we sat in the room facing the garden and waited patiently for Oyakata Sama to come and speak to us about whatever he wanted to say.

After a few minutes, Kiriya and Kanata Ubuyashiki walked out holding Oyakata Sama's arms and he sat down facing us. When he started speaking, it almost made me forget about everything else. His voice had something that could make people feel better and calmer, it was like an antidote. "Giyuu, Shinobu, as you know we are a little short on slayers as of now. There is a town nearby that has been haunted by a twin pair of demons. I would like to send the two of you to handle that situation. I am aware of your physical conditions, but all the other hashiras are out on other missions and the two of you make a wonderful team. I am sure you will be able to stop these demons easily. Would you take on this mission?"

Before I could answer, Kochou said "Of course, master. Tomioka San and I would be glad to accept this mission. We really make a good team! Isn't that right, Tomioka San?" I stared at her incredulously. I groaned inwardly. A whole mission, with Kochou? She would tease me to death. But I couldn't really say anything in front of Oyakata Sama. So I just mumbled "mhmm," and looked away.

Walking back to the butterfly mansion was another mission by itself. Kochou was so glad she wouldn't stop skipping. I knew she hated demons, but being this psychopathic? Apparently, she had forgotten all about her injuries. Anyways, I would have to start preparing for the mission. I couldn't waste my time listening to all that Kochou had to say because that would never end. "Be ready at 6," I said. "Ara Tomioka San! You are so annoying!" "I know," I mumbled. "WHAT? Who are you and what have you done with the Tomioka San I know! I can't believe you actually spoke twice in the same conversation! Your brain cells must have been damaged in the last mission you went on." She wouldn't stop laughing. I said nothing and walked off silently.

A/N

I hope the story doesn't totally suck until now. Do correct me if there's any errors. Oh and don't forget to vote if you like the story UwU.

Header Art - From the manga - Kimetsu No Yaiba