SIXTEEN - RETURN

GIYUU'S POV

I think I had hit my head too hard on the ground when I fell, because I was clearly hallucinating. Why was Kochou hugging me? I was aware of how close we were. As soon as I had this thought, my vision went blank again, and I let my body go limp.

TWO HOURS LATER

When I opened my eyes again, there were three pairs of eyes looking at me. For a second, I was really confused, but that's when I finally became aware of what had really happened here. I was fighting the young demon who called herself Muzan's daughter and then, I killed her. I had almost forgotten about Rin though. He appeared to have no injuries on the surface, but after losing his two best friends, I was sure he was badly shaken from the inside. He reminded me of myself, when I was younger and lost Sabito... but now wasn't the time to think about such things. I faintly remembered Kochou hugging me? That must have been a dream.

I tried to stand up, and was almost immediately attacked by Kochou and Kanroji. "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? You're in no position to walk! You have a fracture in your leg. We're waiting for the Kakushi to arrive. They should be here in no time." I sat back down hastily. The pain in my leg had subsided considerably due to Kochou's treatment, however I still had a broken limb which would take time to heal, even if I was a Demon Slayer and healed faster than most normal people did.

Soon, I heard the sound of rustling feet and the Kakushi swarmed inside. I motioned to Rin to come closer because I had to tell him what to do next. He looked at me with sad eyes. "Well now you see what being a Demon Slayer is like. We kill these demons so that they don't hurt innocent people, but there's a lot of risks that come with the responsibility. I think you have a gift because you told me that you could smell demons from a distance. My master had the same power as you do. I think you would be a fine Demon Slayer, however I don't think your parents would be okay with you disappearing one day. I think you should talk to them about this."

"They would never believe me..." he replied dejectedly. "Well, then it's your decision to make. If you ever feel like you would want to learn how to kill these demons, you should make your way up that mountain. You'll see a small house somewhere near that peak. That's where my master lives. He'll know what to do with you, if you ever decide to take that path. That's all I have to say for now. You should head back home."

Soon, I felt myself getting lifted on a stretcher. I had to comply because I was in no position to argue. I let myself drift off to sleep again.

SHINOBU'S POV

When Tomioka San was talking to the little kid, who he appeared to have met on the mission, his features changed. He seemed almost cheerful. I wondered what he was like before he became so cold, before he had to become a slayer. I wondered what compelled him to be so committed to kill demons. He had been about to tell me about his story, when he was summoned on this mission. He said that his haori was a memory left behind by his friends and family... did that mean they were all dead?

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Meanwhile the situation in the Butterfly Mansion was pretty dire. Apparently Tengen Uzui, the Sound Pillar had been brought in with a missing arm and a missing eye. He was being difficult. He would refuse to lie in bed even though he was in no condition to move. He had survived a battle with the Upper Moon 6, a sibling duo, Daki and Gyuutaro, and even managed to defeat them with the help of the sibling duo, Tanjirou and Nezuko, and two of their friends, Zenitsu and Inosuke. Miraculously, they were all alive. It was unheard of. No Kanoe ranked slayer had ever survived a fight with an Upper Moon before. There was a rumor about the Sound Pillar wanting to retire from the Demon Slayer Corps, which would create yet another opening in the rank of the hashiras.

The condition of the younger slayers wasn't any better either. Tanjirou was in a comatose state, without any signs of recovery, while Inosuke had been poisoned and the poison was now spreading through his body. If he survived, it would be very miraculous indeed. Luckily, Zenitsu seemed better off. He was awake already, with no signs of any life-threatening wounds. He'd probably be up and about in a few days. Nezuko had undergone a transformation in her appearance during the fight. She had developed the demon's mark while fighting Daki. However, it was clearly visible whose side she was on. She didn't seem to pose a threat as she had fought against the demons, clearly proving her loyalty to the Demon Slayer Corps.

Uzui's wives didn't budge from his side. They seemed to support his decision to retire from the Demon Slayer Corps. The butterfly girls were pretty busy with all the injured people from the battle, but they were pretty optimistic since everyone had come back alive. The only one who had life threatening injuries was Inosuke. However, Shinobu was an expert in dealing with poison, and since she would be back soon, everyone was hoping for the best.

AOI'S POV

I wonder if the Water Pillar is okay. He was not in a very good condition when he left. I really do hope for Shinobu nee san's sake that he makes it out alive and well. They should be back anytime now since it has almost been a day since the Kakushi were dispatched. I wonder if I should keep a bed ready just in case, he's too injured.

A/N

Guess who's back :"D I'm so sorry for not updating my story for two months. I just realized that the last chapter was posted on today's date two months ago. I couldn't get over my writer's block. We do need a vaccine to get cured of that. Hopefully, I'll update more frequently now.

P.S. - Did anyone notice the pun in the heading of the chapter? 'Return' symbolizes the return of Giyuu from his mission, the return of Uzui and the Kamaboko Squad from their mission aaaaanndddd my return from the two month long hiatus :p

Don't forget to vote if you like the story :D

IS ANYONE ELSE AS EXCITED AS ME FOR THE SECOND SEASON TO FINALLY BE OUT IN DECEMBER? I WONDER HOW MUCH OF THE MANGA THEY'RE GOING TO COVER THIS TIME.

Header credit: https://in

Header credit: https://in.pinterest.com/pin/336010822207309878/