FIVE - DECEPTION

SHINOBU'S POV

Sure enough, he was standing there at six with the same lonely look on his face. It kind of hurt me. I liked to think that I could befriend anyone and help them feel better, but Tomioka San consistently kept avoiding me and isolating himself from the other pillars. When I was with the pillars, a lot of them mocked him for his behavior. Of course I couldn't tell him about it, although he made it seem like he was emotionless, he had to have some feelings in his heart. When we were in the hospital, I heard him call out a girl's name aloud several times. I think it was 'Tsutako'. I wondered who it was. He never talked to us about his previous life. We only knew that he had been trained by a former water pillar, Master Urokodaki.

When I greeted him, he acknowledged my presence with a nod. Mhmm...that was an improvement. Previously, he would just have ignored me. As we raced through the trees, I kept asking him to speed up but he seemed really disinterested all the way through. I wondered if something was on his mind.

The village we were supposed to be in, was kind of nearby so it would only take half a day to reach, especially since pillars were much faster than lower ranked slayers. When we were sure it'd take only another half hour to reach we slowed down considerably. Rushing into a demon's territory like that seemed like something only a fool would do. I mean we all know the phrase 'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread'.

'Tomioka San? Do you want me to climb up that tree ahead and look out ahead? There might be demons lying in wait in the forests you know. Besides I'm lighter than you are so it'll be easier for me to check." He nodded again. It really was a pain to be on a mission with someone who hated you. I mean, it was pretty apparent that he hated me. Why else would he be so disinterested in making small talk? But then again, he was like that with everybody. I jumped up on the tree with little to no efforts and looked around. This forest was exceptionally pretty for somewhere that demons could be around.

But...something didn't seem right. "To-mi-oka San! You're there..right? Don't get lost while I'm up here!" I had to make sure he was okay but I couldn't make it look like I cared. There was no answer. Well, I'd be surprised if he did answer, but I still had to make sure. I jumped down the tree and, he was nowhere to be found. Well this was scary. "TOMIOKA SAN! I really hope you're not kidding around!" Though that was really unlikely. The lonely water pillar 'kidding around'? Nah. Suddenly, he stepped out from behind the trees. "Sorry Kochou, I was looking around in the closer range since you were checking out the further locations. We're good. There's no danger around this place. We'll probably face those demons once we're closer to the village." MY. JAW. DROPPED. Wait- what was wrong with him. Did he actually speak out more than ten words out aloud? TO ME? AND DID HE SAY SORRY?

Something definitely wasn't right. I poked him just to make sure, and...he actually laughed. Okay this definitely isn't Tomioka San. Usually, when I poked him, he'd just look the other way and sigh. Could he really have changed that much while I climbed a tree? This disoriented me but I couldn't really let anything show on my face. "Let's keep walking." I looked at him through the corner of my eyes and his face was full of purpose. "Hey...quit it. Please go back to your original self Tomioka San! You're scaring me." "But I'm being myself!" I stopped running and faced him. "What's wrong with you Tomioka San? This is why nobody likes you. You're weird."

Then, he actually walked up closer to me and put his hands on my shoulders. "I- What are you doing Tomioka San! Buzz off!" Now that he was this close to me I couldn't help but notice that he really was kind of good looki- STOP. No! What am I saying. This is Tomioka San and nobody likes him. "Kochou... I-" He brought his face closer to mine and at the last moment, I noticed his smile. This was definitely not Tomioka San. Then I felt something sharp on my neck. Tomioka San started transforming himself with his fangs still holding down on my neck. I slowly reached out to my katana and tightened my grip over it, and with a sudden swipe I managed to both, free myself from the demon's hold and stab him in his arm. This wasn't good enough. It would slow him down but not be enough to inflict any harm. I would have to stab him multiple times.

To think I actually thought a demon disguised as Tomioka San was good looking? I must be going crazy. Besides, we hated each other. None of that mattered right now. I had to kill the demon in front of me. Wait, where WAS he? He must have been misled by another demon disguised as me. These must be the twin demons we were after. I hoped he would hold up on his own. The demon grinned and said "Hah. Humans are so easy to fool." I almost wanted to slap myself. I should have suspected there was a demon behind this when he first spoke to me. I mean, he would never in his life speak more than five words at a time. I was getting really mad about the whole situation. I really did hate demons with all my heart. I would never understand Nee San's views.

I stood on the balls of my feet, ready to jump as soon as he came within my attacking range. Of course he took the bait. Looking small actually helped me sometimes because the demons would underestimate me and then be proved bitterly wrong. "Insect breathing butterfly dance caprice!" I attacked him before he had the chance to unleash his attack. It was just like every other time. The demon instantly put his hand on his neck and found it in place and grinned. "Of course! You're too tiny. You can't behead ME. I'll kill you." I smiled back and the poison started its effect. He spat blood and uttered words that were not really decent. After all who could expect demons to be decent? I ignored him and waited. Soon he was as good as dead. The sunlight would do its work on him. This was way too easy.

Apparently I haven't gotten rusty 'yet'. However, the fact that I couldn't defeat those Upper Moons was still bugging me. I would just have to train harder. I wondered if Tomioka San was holding up on his own? I would have to go check.

A/N

Alright! Finally, some Shinobu action. I know it was kinda small, but well, she's the best and this is a mere lower demon. If there's any mistakes, please correct me! And...don't forget to vote :')