THIRTY-FOUR

Standing at the door and watching his mother on the floor, crying her eyes out. Samuel couldn't truly tell if her threat was just a bluff or she was for real.

"Why are you doing this mum?"

"I swear I will kill myself!" She sniffed in her tears and her voice became stern. "What else do I have to live for if you are gone?"

"No you will not!" His voice echoed across the room. 

Samuel had some kind of gut feeling that his mother was just being dramatic and she wouldn't kill herself, or maybe it was hope. 

He needed to hear something else from her, "You know what I mean mum." trying hard to hold his trembling voice, "Why are you trying to ruin my life? I thought you loved me. Shola wasn't sure but I made her believe that you'd be happy to hear about us, but no you weren't."

She raised her torso, with her hand slowly stretching out to Samuel, "Samuel..."

"I don't care what you do or say, I am leaving." He had no interest in hearing her excuses.

Samuel never pictured a day would come where he would see his mother in this much pain or sorrow and not feel any remorse. Or maybe he did feel some remorse, maybe he wished things hadn't turned out the way they were. Samuel loved his mother so much, maybe even more than he loved Shola, but she had hurt him so much. What she did to him was unforgivable and that's why he was leaving, not because of Shola, but because she betrayed him.

He hauled his luggage behind him, with another bag hanging on his left shoulder, the taxi was waiting for him already and his mom followed up from behind with her face all greased up with tears. Samuel was going to leave for sure.

Until...

A humming sound came from inside the bag he hung on his shoulder.

The vibration from the bag hanging on his shoulder sounded like that of a ringing phone. Having realized that he was still in possession of Shola's phone that she left with him at the hotel, Samuel curiously picked the phone from his bag as he stood at the walkway.

"Oh Junmi, doesn't she know Shola is not with this phone?" He clearly had no idea of Junmi's death, how could he?

After he and Shola's separation, there was no way Samuel was going to find out about Junmi's death.

"Hel-Hello?"

"Hello!" An unfamiliar masculine voice spoke from the other end.

"Who am I speaking with and what are you doing with Junmoke's phone?" Samuel asked quite rudely. Of course, he was already in a bad mood.

"My name is Ezekiel, Junmoke's boyfriend."

Stuck in his reminiscence, Samuel could barely hear his mother as she persistently called for his attention.

"Samuel! Samuel!!" Mrs. Akande's persistent calls from the back passenger seat finally snapped him out of his daydream.

"Yes?"

"Who was the person that called you and where are we going?!" Trying to get a grasp of the situation.

"I spoke with a man named Ezekiel and..."

"Ezekiel?!" Mrs. Akande gasped.

"You know him."

"Yes..." Feeling ashamed again about yet another secret. "What did he say?"

Becoming even less pleased with his mother, Samuel took a quick glance at her through the rear view mirror before answering, as they drove away in his mother's van.