THIRTY-NINE

After a terrible encounter with Seun and his goons, Samuel was admitted to the hospital, where he spent a few days. His mother on the other hand mourned the death of her best friend. Given her untimely death, Mrs. Akande and Esther's family remained in pain for so long.

Shola took a while trying to soak in all the truth about what was happening behind her back. Seun was manipulating everything happening in her life to his benefits and she had absolutely no idea. Her father, her best friend and even Jimmy, she had finally come to know that Seun was behind it all. Speaking of Jimmy, Shola had a lot of apologizing to do to his older brother.

It had been one full month and Samuel and Shola had yet spoken again after the incident at Seun's house. Though she was full of words to say to Samuel, she had many more mixed emotions at the time, the stronger being shame. Shame that she wasn't able to trust Samuel, a feeling that would hopefully go with time.

Down at the police station, they continuously carried out intense investigation to find Seun's whereabouts. If Funmilayo had learned anything about Seun throughout all the investigation, it was that Seun wouldn't go anywhere without his prize, Shola. So they left their eyes peeled and stayed prepared for when he was going to make a move to get Shola.

But that was not all for Funmilayo, even if she found Seun and apprehended him she still had some unfinished business with the case. Someone had tipped Seun about their raid of the Akande house when he was there and it had to be someone really close.

And Funmi had a very strong guess.

"Good morning Mr. Grey." Funmilayo walked into his office.

"My little fighter! Have a seat dear." Having no knowledge of why Funmi was there, "You have no idea how proud I am of you and how proud your late father would have been."

Funmi wore a faint smile, "Thank you sir."

"No, you deserve all the praise. You need to celebrate."

"I appreciate sir... but I feel like there is one more person I am missing."

"Missing? I don't understand." Mr. Grey grew in curiosity.

Funmilayo was a little suspicious of Mr. Grey already and wouldn't want to make obvious her suspicions of him, so she had to be careful and take things slow.

"Back at Samuel's home, we could have caught Seun but he somehow escaped, and I beli-"

With a short chuckle that cut Funmi short, Mr. Grey answered, "Look Funmi, in the police world there are times where things happen that you don't understand, and while we will surely look into them, don't let them haunt you."

"I know but I don't think this is one of them." She wasn't going to allow Mr. Grey sway her.

Quickly picking her brain, Mr. Grey's expression changed, "What do you mean?"

"I mean someone must have informed Seun of our coming. Or else, there is no way he could have known we were coming."

"Hmm..." He leaned slowly on his chair, "And you are confident about this assumption?"

"Yes. Because not only did he know we were coming, he also knew how we were coming. And there were only three people that had that information."

Of course, one of them being Mr. Grey.

Knowing Funmilayo for so long, he slowly grew scared at her assumptions. He knew that she was always very adamant to prove a point and wouldn't give up until she did. And if she did prove this point, it meant he would be ending up behind bars.