day fourteen (cupiosexual) (relationship)

06/14/21: write an entry centering around a character who is cupiosexual/cupioromantic (this mean they do not experience sexual/romantic attraction, but still desire a sexual/romantic relationship) 

FULL DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT THE SAME JAMES FROM DAY TEN'S ARO ONE-SHOT. THIS IS JAMES (A SUPER MINOR CHARACTER WHO'S FRIENDS WITH RILEY) FROM "IF WE FOUND HEAVEN" SEVERAL YEARS AFTER HE'S IN THAT BOOK. I AM GUILTY OF OVERUSING THE NAME JAMES. TQ AND GOODNIGHT.

---

James was sitting on the porch swing in his backyard when Sarah walked up. "Hey," she said. Her hair was dripping wet from the shower, and it hung around her shoulders in stringy strands.

James gave a nod. "Hey."

Sarah sat down on the swing beside him. "So," she began awkwardly, "are we gonna talk about it?"

James shrugged. "If you want to."

Sarah exhaled. "I don't."

"Alright."

"You know that I do like you, right?" Sarah asked. "Romantically, and all."

"Sure," James said. This conversation was becoming increasingly uncomfortable.

Four weekends ago, they had gone on their first date. It had taken years for James to work up the nerve and ask her out, along with loads of prodding from Riley. This last weekend had been their first kiss. It was then that Sarah had said she had a confession to make. She wasn't exactly sexually attracted to him, or anybody, for that matter, but she still wanted to do the things one did in a relationship with James anyway. It was an odd situation, unlike anything James had encountered. Usually, he might've called it off simply because of how complicated it all seemed. But he had waited years for Sarah, and that sure as hell was not happening.

Sarah offered him a half smile. "I won today during my event," she told him.

"That's good," James said, feeling his lips curve in a smile. "Our soccer team won too."

Sarah scooted closer to him and rested her head on his shoulder. Her wet hair soaked through his t-shirt, but he didn't mind it much. "Congrats."

"Thanks," James replied.

Sarah fiddled with a string bracelet on her wrist. "Riley won a bunch of stuff too," she said.

"Nice," said James. "She's been so busy since the Rich thing went down. Barely talks to us at all."

"Yeah," Sarah agreed sadly. "I miss our trio."

James flashed a smile. "This duo is pretty sick, though, right?"

"Of course," Sarah said, chuckling a little. "We're the best."

James put an arm around Sarah's shoulders. "Where do you think we'll be in ten years?" he wondered aloud.

Sarah paused, then said, "I want to move back to the east coast."

James nodded. Sarah had spent her first five years (and every subsequent summer) in New Jersey, and she missed the place dearly. "And live there forever?"

Sarah shrugged. "Whatever you want."

"Me?" James raised his eyebrows.

"Well yeah," Sarah said, rolling her eyes. "I'm not planning on the demise of our relationship before at least a decade is up."

James felt a flush rise to his cheeks. "Really?"

"Yes, really," Sarah replied. She sounded amused. "I was thinking we could live in my family home. It's been empty for a while, and it's an awful sad waste."

"Your family home," James mused. "I loved it when I saw it last summer."

"You should come with us this next summer, too," Sarah suggested. "Just for a week or two."

"Two weeks in New Jersey doesn't sound half bad," James replied. "The weather is better over here in the winter, though."

"You've got a point," Sarah said, shrugging. "You'll love the snow at first, though. The novelty only wears off after some years."

James smiled. "I'll take your word for it." The truth was, he'd follow this girl wherever she went - Canada, France, hell, even Antarctica. Luckily, Sarah only wanted to move to New Jersey. James had to admit that he was a little bit excited.

---

DID I MAKE IT TOO OBVIOUS WHO THEY ARE ?!

 i thought it would be funky if i made all my teen fiction/ya books set in the same sort of 'universe'------- which is why the secret to cas's minty scent can be found in "if we found heaven" and why jamie douglas's grandfather is riley sullivan's best friend, james.

anyways. that was a shameless self-promo disguised as an explanation :3

cupiosexuality is so interesting-- i really hadn't heard of it before ! you learn something new every day !

also i love writing queer characters in hetero relationships because sometimes i forget that's a possibility (smh ik) so it's nice and refreshing