Chapter 29

Over the next three weeks, I managed to keep myself out of trouble. It wasn’t hard considering Jason was forced away and Caden out of free will. Yet every day I went out of my way to avoid Collin.

                At first¸ I had been skirting every corner, trying to avoid him. After the first few days, I realized that I rarely saw Collin in school aside from the few times in between classes and at lunch. Somehow, I managed to keep my distance. I could only hope and pray that he got the message that I wasn’t ready to see him.

                Caden didn’t bother coming over anymore. After the party, he called saying he had a stomach ache. Mom was upset, but that didn’t stop her from going on a date with her boyfriend. The next few times, Caden came up with various excuses.

                The only thing that I noticed different was Mom would come home earlier now that Caden wasn’t around. And she came home somewhat sober.

                Every day I promised myself that I would call Jason and confess what I had done that horrid Friday night. Every night I sat in my room, a phone in my hand, tears pouring down my cheeks.

                My mother had let me visit Chase every day after school for an hour or so. Every day he would ask if I had told Jason yet or spoken with Caden.

                Every day I said that I would tomorrow.

                But tonight, I was determined.

                I sat on my bed, Jason’s number ringing in my ear. My heart pounded furiously as the second ring came, loud in the silence of my bedroom.

                Mason was asleep next door, so I would have to be quite.

                “Hello?” Jason asked his voice groggy.

                “Jason” I whispered so that my voice wouldn’t crack.

                “Joey?” He whispered back, surprised.

                I smiled and nodded before I remembered he couldn’t see, “Yeah, it’s me.”

                “Hold on a moment” He said.

                “Ok”

                I heard noise in the background, but failed at making out what he was doing. It was silent between us for a few minutes until the noise died down.

                “Sorry, I’m sitting in my car now.” He sighed, “Baby, I’ve missed you so much. I’ve been worried sick about you! I’m so sorry about before, Joey, Hannah was riding my ass, and I know that’s not excuse and, look, I’ve been a wreck since then.”

                I laughed slightly “Jason, shut the hell up.”

                “Done.”

                “Thank you.”

                “What did you call for?” He asked curiously

                I took a deep breath, “I did something bad, Jason.”

                “Joey, sweetie, whatever you did I’m sure its not—”

                “No, Jase, it’s bad” My voice cracked.

                “…what happened, Joey?”