Chapter 13

It was nearly ten o’clock when Caden arrived. Mom had been out for a couple hours now, leaving me with Mason. I didn’t mind the fact that Caden was late; it felt like the good old days. Mason had woken up a few times through-out the evening, to eat dinner, but now he was sound asleep in his room.

                I was laying downstairs, watching TV when the door opened.  I glanced up, seeing Caden’s head poke out. My eyes narrowed at his late arrival as he walked in, shutting the door behind him.

                I didn’t question why Caden was able to get into my house, assuming Mom gave him a set of keys.

                Caden walked over to me, running a hand over his hair. It was crazy, sticking out in all directions. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why he was late.  Still, I couldn’t help myself to ask when he sat down next to me.

                “Why are you late?” I snapped quietly.

                He sighed, leaning his head back and looking at me “I was busy”

                “Yeah, ‘busy’” I air-quoted.

                “My one friend needed my help” he frowned, explaining.

                I rolled my eyes, mumbling, “Sure” under my breath.

                “Whatever” Caden muttered “Is Mason asleep?”

                “Yeah, he’s sick.”

                “Did you give him medicine?”

                “Of course I did! I’m not going to let him get sicker!” I snapped, a little offended he had to ask. Caden raised his hands, a sign of peace.

                “I was just asking”

                “No one asked you”

                “You’re so grumpy”

                I ignored him, refusing to continue this immature argument. I always felt so immature when Caden was around. He brought out the whiney child in me.

                Caden rubbed his eyes, yawning.

                “So how’s your mom?” He asked after a few awkward moments.

                I shrugged “She’s fine. That’s normal for her. Sorry you had to witness it”

                “I never thought it would be that bad. I thought your mom was a little bit more responsible than that. I’m sorry, Pumpkin” He said, sounding sincere.

                I didn’t want pity though. I didn’t want him to know. Now he’d pity me. And if anyone else at school found out…

                “Just… forget it, Caden” I muttered, crossing my arms “I don’t want your pity.”

                “Does Mason know she gets drunk?” Caden asked, ignoring me.

                I sighed irritably “Yes, he knows to avoid her too. He hates this just as much as I do. Don’t you dare talk to him about this though”

                “I had no intentions of doing that” He said,

                “Just forget about it.” I muttered, getting embarrassed.