Chapter 19

It sounded like he had choked on water. Chase coughed a few times before responding to me. “Joey! Oh my—how are you baby-girl?”

            “Don’t call me that” I said in a monotone voice “What do you want?”

            “Don’t give me attitude, young lady” He said, trying to sound strict

            “Please” I rolled my eyes “You’re not my father.”

            He sighed

            “Look, Chase, what do you want?” I snapped, shivering slightly in the wind. I had arrived to a small play ground. I sat down on one of the swings.

            “I was in town and I thought it would be nice if we met up somewhere” He suggested.

            I hesitated. I hadn’t seen him in so long…maybe it would be nice to see him once again. “When?”

            “Uh…” He didn’t seem to have planned for me to say yes “Whenever you can”

            “Now?”

            “Don’t you have school?”

            “I skipped”

            Chase laughed “Alright, where are you? I’ll pick you up”

            I gave him directions on where to find me. I didn’t know where we were going and I could only pray that he wouldn’t tell Mom about this.

            I sent Jason a text while I waited for Chase to arrive.

            I’m coming over tonight, ok?

            I had barely closed my phone when he answered with an ‘Ok’. I smiled, glad that we were close enough for me to do that.

            I waited roughly fifteen more minutes before I saw the vaguely familiar green truck pull up along the curb. I stood up hesitantly, wrapping my arms around my waist. I saw Chase walk around the side, motioning for me to come in the car.

            I quickly walked over, meeting him halfway.

            Chase didn’t look himself. His hair was no longer there. I doubted he would shave it off. Chase used to be in love with his hair, so it was a shock to me that he had none. His eyes were sunken in, dark circles surrounding them. I wondered if he had slept much recently. His clothes bagged around him, thin arms crossed at the chest.  He smiled at me, his face full of sadness.  

             “Hey” He said, coughing slightly. I smiled back, walking with him back to his truck. Chase walked around the other side, getting into the car. I noticed that he was walking differently.

            I blasted the heat, trying to warm up my frozen body.

            “Why aren’t you in school?” He asked

            I shrugged “I didn’t want to go. Can you call me off sick?”

            He nodded.

            “So” I said, trying to get into a conversation with him “What did you want to talk to me about?”

            “Do you want to get some food?”

            “It’s only nine…” I trailed

            “Still time for breakfast” He smirked, starting the car up. I rolled my eyes, keeping my body hovered over the heat vents.