Chapter 1: Heartless

Rome, Italy

October, 1854

William’s trip to Rome turned from a brief summer holiday to an indefinite stay when he attended a small soiree hosted by his friend John Christi’s aunt, Madam Riley. At first Will was a reluctant guest, relishing any chance he had to get away from the constant barrage of matchmaking mamas and their ingénue daughters, when all of a sudden, in a mere instant of a moment, all had changed.

Across the grand drawing room, through the sea of mingling faces, he saw her, standing alone and very still. As if feeling his gaze fall on her, she turned her perfectly coiffed head of auburn curls and met his stare with the icy blue of her own. William felt her eyes sear through him, and was forced to look away against his own volition.

Being an attractive young man, William was used to getting his share of female attentions, but there was something more brazen in this woman’s eyes, something unlike the innocent glances of young London coquettes.

John Christi, having already had one too many drinks finally found his friend.

“Ah, there you are,” said he smiling and patting Will on the back. “A charming little assembly, isn’t it? And to think, you almost didn’t come.”

William didn’t respond, still feeling the siren’s gaze on him, he was unable to pay any attention to his friend.

“Burton, why must you look so somber? I was hoping that coming here would get you out of your seemingly permanent state of ennui.”

“There is a young woman in a lavender gown standing by the column on the other side of the room. Turn around as discreetly as possible and tell me if you know who she is.” William turned away, as to not attract further attention to himself.

John, doing his best not to appear conspicuous, began looking for a young lady in lavender.

“I’m afraid I do not see anyone clad in that particular hue, my friend,” said John standing on his tiptoes in an attempt to conduct a more thorough search.

William spun around and immediately saw that she was gone. “That’s too bad,” said he, “I was sure I was being offered an invitation…”

“Ah, perhaps she’s playing hard to get, eh?” commented John downing another drink.

“I wouldn’t mind the company of the fairer sex,” mused William aloud, “but I’m not about to go chasing after her like some schoolboy.”

“It’s so like you, Burton. You never exert any energy to romance the ladies, they simply come to you. I wish I knew your tricks.”

“No tricks here, old man,” said William.

“Someone once said that if a gentleman wants to win the desire of a lady, he must ignore her completely. It seems utter indifference is what makes these wretched females fall in love with you.”

“Where did you hear such drivel?” asked Will raising a brow with derision.

“Well, how do you do it, Will? How do you manage to have such a mesmerizing effect on women? I suppose looking like the dashing bastard that you are doesn’t hurt, but there must be more to it than being a bloody handsome bloke.”

William chuckled. “I pay attention. Indifference won’t get you anywhere. You must pay very close attention to the woman you desire, if you want that desire to be returned. If you wish for her to be a satisfying bed partner you must first show her your worth—you must study her movements and notice what she responds to. That is the surest way to win the lady’s earnest enthusiasm and utter adoration. If it is love you seek, you must learn about her hopes, her fears, her dreams.”