Chapter 2: Cupid's Arrow

Bath, England

1856

    Mrs.Varnes stood in the foyer of the Silver Crescent Inn, perusing the society pages of the Bath Chronicle. She was glad to see Lady Shelby’s name mentioned as one of the most notable persons of importance, as she was very good friends with her and felt not a small amount of distinction to have such an eminent connection.

    Vernita Varnes was not a snob by any account, but being able to circulate among the aristocratic upper crust of the ton gave her a strange feeling of magnitude. Mrs. Varnes had been a widow for many years now. Her husband left her just enough money to sustain her through old age, and a beautiful townhouse in the fashionable residential district of Mayfair in London. She lived there with her young daughter Louisa, and as of two years ago, also with her niece Emily. Since her brother’s death, Mrs. Varnes had become a guardian and a benefactress to the orphaned girl. She loved her wholeheartedly, as did Louisa.

    The three of them were now vacationing in Bath, and enjoying a pleasant respite from the relentless London rain.

    “Ah, there you are, my dears,” said Mrs. Varnes putting away the newspaper and greeting Louisa and Emily as they skipped down the stairs.

    “Mama, do forgive us for keeping you waiting, I simply couldn’t decide what to wear,” said Louisa, straightening her blue bonnet. “Emily’s been ready for hours, but she had to help me choose just the right garment.”

    “Emily, dear, I do wish you would cure my sweet child of this abominable obsession with silly dresses. I suppose I’ve none but myself to blame for having spoiled you, Louisa. We’ve not been here a week and I’ve already succumb to your whims and bought you an entire new wardrobe,” said Mrs. Varnes and shook her head in self deprecation.

    “Oh mama, don’t be so tedious. A young lady must always keep up with the latest fashions!” squealed Louisa, as she opened a matching blue parasol and twirled it on her shoulder.

    “I think Louisa looks lovely, aunt,” said Emily, as she looked at her happy cousin.

    Louisa was two years younger than her, but at times Emily felt as though she acted as a little child instead of a young lady.

    “We must make haste if we want to have lunch, and do some shopping by three o’clock. Lady Shelby is a stickler for punctuality, so we mustn’t be late to her tea party.”

    “I want a new bonnet, mama,” said Louisa pouting. “The lace on this one is a darker shade of blue than I care for.”

    “You’ve got more bonnets than the Queen, Louisa. When I mentioned shopping, what I actually meant was, I want to buy a new pair of gloves for Emily.”

    “Oh, aunt, it is so very kind of you, but I hardly need them. I like the pair that I have,” said Emily, attempting to hide the scuffed tips of her worn leather gloves.

    “My dear, there is no need to be modest. You are going to get a new pair of gloves and that’s the end of it.”

    “But—”

    “No, no, no. I am quite adamant about it,” said Mrs. Varnes, and took Emily by the hand.

--#--

    The three women succeeded in arriving at Lady Shelby’s house on time, but not without a small adventure.

    After purchasing a pair of gloves for Emily, both Louisa and Mrs. Varnes insisted that she put them on immediately. The gloves were lovely, too fancy to wear daily to be sure, the small buttons were made out of pearls and the white kid leather felt delicate and soft. Emily wanted to protest, surely these gloves demanded a special occasion to be donned, but she didn’t want to appear ungrateful for the beautiful gift, so she appeased her aunt.