Chapter 17: Chacun a son Gout

Madame Papillon’s Chapeaux boutique was famed for carrying the latest Parisian styles of ladies’ bonnets and gentlemen’s top hats. It was there that Emily made a new acquaintance.

Lady Siena Bastion was trying on a wide-rimmed Italian summer hat ornamented with a pink satin bow.

“It is made out of Italian straw and the satin is from Paris,” tempted Madame Papillon smiling.

“It’s exquisite,” said Siena putting it on and looking at her reflection in the mirror.

Emily was waiting for her aunt’s bonnet to be adorned with new trim. Consumed with her own thoughts, Emily didn’t notice anyone around her and sat quietly in the corner.

“Excuse me, Miss?”

Emily looked up and saw the ravishing Lady Bastion, the straw hat distractingly large on her head.

“What do you think about this summer hat?” asked Siena striking an elegant pose.

Emily considered the girl in front of her. She was certainly beautiful, but that hat…it was simply too large for her. Usually, Emily would hold her tongue and say something polite, but these days she was past caring about what others thought of her.

“I’m afraid the hat does not suit you, Miss,” said Emily plainly.

“What?” asked Madame Papillon angrily. “It is the latest we got from Paris!”

Siena chuckled and looked at Emily from head to toe, as if assessing whether or not her opinion should matter in the slightest.

“The hat itself is fabulous…and you certainly are beautiful…but in my opinion, it is simply too large and it hides your striking features instead of complimenting them…”

“Thank you for your honesty,” said Siena, pleasantly surprised to hear unadorned candor instead of the much despised sycophancy she had been used to.

Siena took off the straw hat and handed it back to the disappointed Madame Papillon. She then turned to face Emily.

“You seem to have an eye for fashion,” said Siena smiling. “Won’t you help me select a bonnet? I am going to Italy with my brother and I need something that will shield me from the wretched Tuscan sun, but not hide my face from the onlookers…”

Emily was amused by the confidence of this young girl.

“I will do my best to be helpful,” said Emily.

“I am also invited to attend a garden party this Saturday, and I simply cannot appear wearing the same  straw hat from last season. Gentlemen do prefer a lady who’s well dressed, don’t you agree?” asked Siena perusing various displays on the shelves.

“I’m afraid I am not an authority on what gentlemen prefer.”

Siena looked surprised. “Make no mistake, style is of utmost importance, even for men. Why, each time my brothers throw a party, the gentlemen are always dressed to impress. Just this past Saturday I danced with one of the most stylish men I’ve ever beheld, Mr. William Burton, have you heard of him?”

Suddenly Emily felt like she couldn’t breathe. She focused on a lavender bonnet in front of her and began nervously tugging at its ribbons.

    “I have heard of him,” she managed finally, a million questions in her mind. Was this his new woman? This girl of no more than sixteen? How soon he’s moved on, thought Emily, a jabbing pain suddenly turning her stomach in knots.

    Siena tried on a green hunting cap ornamented with grey voile and a long pheasant feather. “What do you think, Miss…uh…oh, it just occurred to me that we haven’t made proper introductions. Do forgive me, I am Siena Bastion of Lindley Manor.”