Chapter 12: Treachery

Upon returning to London, William called on Emily each day enquiring after her health. His concern for her was much appreciated by Mrs. Varnes, who was a hypochondriac herself and was up in arms after hearing what had happened to Emily at Middletons’.

“Emily, my dear, you should be in bed, resting. Why are you putting on your cloak?” asked Mrs. Varnes worry etched across her face.

“Aunt, I cannot bear sitting in my room any longer. I am going to the post office to mail some correspondence to my friend Fiona. I will be staying with her next week when I go to Paris.”

“But we have servants to run our errands, my sweet. Why don’t you summon Alice? You really should take better care of yourself Emily. Just yesterday I heard the most discomfiting news of a young girl in Portsmouth catching some sort of a cold and perishing within a month! I think it best you remain here with me, lest you should have a relapse…and this time William won’t be there to rescue you.”

“I shall not be in need of rescue, I assure you, aunt. I am completely capable of taking care of myself. Oh, I wish you didn’t worry so. The exercise will do me good, and I shall return as soon as I can, I promise.” Emily kissed her anxious aunt on the forehead and headed out.

After dropping her letter off at the post office, Emily was strolling along unhurriedly down St. Martin’s Le Grand, humming a tune to herself, not entirely aware of her surroundings, when she walked right into a tall man.

“Oh, I beg your pardon, sir,” said she quickly collecting herself.

“Miss Summerset? Oh, what luck? I say it’s providence that has led to our collision,” said Rupert tipping his top hat.

“Mr. Sutter, I’m afraid I was daydreaming…do forgive my clumsiness.”

“Not at all, my dear. As a matter of fact I’ve wanted to speak with you. As you know I am planning on hosting an engagement soiree in your honor.”

“Oh, yes. It is so very kind of you. William and I can hardly wait.”

“I am looking forward to the celebration as well, however, there are a few things I wish to discuss with you…some details. Do you have any free time tomorrow afternoon? We can talk it over at my place.”

“I don’t have any prior engagements, Mr. Sutter. I can certainly spare some time tomorrow…but…”

“Splendid. I will come by in my carriage to pick you up at three o’clock.”

“Oh, well…” Emily saw an unsettling glimmer in Rupert’s eye.

“You hesitate, Miss Emily? Is there something amiss?”

“You see, it’s all very silly really, but there is a question of propriety. Getting into a carriage with a man who’s not my betrothed may strike some as…, well,…is there any reason why we couldn’t discuss things now, here?”

“Here? In the middle of the street? I’m afraid what I’d like to discuss requires your presence at the house, Miss Summerset—it has to do with the decorations for the party, and you must see the rooms in order to be able to advise... After seeing you help Mrs. Middleton with her flower arrangements, I knew that you had the eye for beauty. William is such a dear friend, that I want to surprise him by having all that is his favorite at the party—his most favored wine, his choice of music, his most desired banquet spread. I could guess certain things, but your insight would be invaluable, Miss Summerset.”

Emily bit her lip in confusion.

Rupert smiled. “You really are something, Miss Summerset. I must say, William has chosen well. However, let me assure you. There is nothing at all improper about a lady who is publicly affianced to visit a friend of her fiancé…especially if that friend happens to be throwing them an engagement party. Believe me, your worries are completely unfounded. Why, William would think it absurd that you would hesitate even for an instant.”