Chapter 10: Best Laid Plans

St. James’ Gentlemen’s Club.

“Have you heard the latest about Burton?” asked Hayle, chalking up his cue stick.

“I have indeed,” replied John setting up his next shot.

“I ran into him yesterday, he was beaming,” continued Hayle.

John winced at missing a remarkably easy shot and resumed his seat in the leather chair.

“I always had a hunch he would be the first one of us to get married,” said he, taking a sip of port.

Hayle deftly delivered four balls into four pockets and smiled at John who had just lost his fifth game in a row.

“Your skills astound me, my friend,” confessed John finishing his drink.

“Perhaps you need a more adept challenger,” said Rupert Sutter as he entered the billiard room.

“Ah, Mr. Sutter, it’s been quite a long while since we’ve seen you last,” said John, lifting his glass in greeting.

“I’ve had some urgent business abroad, but now I am back. What news, gentlemen?” asked Rupert taking off his jacket and picking up a cue stick.

Hayle saw John struggle with whether or not to disclose the information about the recent events, but he realized that Rupert would find out sooner or later about William’s wedding plans.  There was no sense in keeping it hidden and heightening the secrecy.

“Will Burton is getting married,” said Hayle.

“Great news,” said Rupert blithely. “Who is the lucky lady?”

John looked at Hayle with caution. “Miss Emily Summerset,” said Hayle, looking at Rupert for reaction.

“Oh that’s grand,” said Rupert lightheartedly. “When’s the big date?” He was focusing on chalking up his cue stick and it appeared as though he wasn’t interested in hearing the answer in the slightest.

“I believe Will mentioned some time in early May,” said John. “Apparently they want to tie the knot on the same day they had their very first kiss.”

“Splendid!” announced Rupert smiling. “Well, there must be a celebration to mark the happy occasion,” said Rupert as he struck the white cue ball and broke the collection of red balls on the table scattering them all over the baize.

Hayle was a little suspect of Rupert’s nonchalant reaction.

“I hope you forgive my asking, but the last time you learned of Will’s attachment to Emily Summerset you were visibly displeased,” said John, hoping to draw him out.

“Gentlemen, I was a fool,” said Rupert solemnly. “In fact, I should apologize to Mr. Burton for my boorish behavior, and hope that he will forgive me. My reaction was ill-mannered and was certainly not worthy of a gentleman.”

Hayle and John exchanged looks, each man clearly weighing the authenticity of Mr. Sutter’s atonement.

“I am sure Will would be happy to see you, Rupert,” affirmed John.

“Yes, I don’t think Burton is one to harbor ill feelings towards anyone,” seconded Hayle.

“Splendid!” repeated Rupert, and proceeded to strike another ball. “You know I haven’t seen her since that night, I barely even remember what she looks like,” said Rupert, maintaining his blasé attitude. “The time I was away was chiefly spent on the continent where to my delight I had discovered my predilection for exotic beauties of the Mediterranean. Trust me when I tell you, gentlemen, the hotter climate has a distinct effect on the local women; there you will not find a pale, shrinking English Rose, oh no, women in Sicily are hot blooded and ravenous in bed…”