Chapter 21: Resolution

"Who the devil is Alice?" continued to yell William, but Rupert was non-responsive.

    "It's no use, he's swooned," said Dr. Adams. "I suggest we be on our way, I'll need to take out the bullet and redress his wound to prevent infection. Afterwards, you may continue your interrogation."

    "Very well," said Will, frustration clear in his tone.

    The constable ordered his men to carry Rupert to the police carriage. Mr. Louts would be brought back to jail, where he would receive treatment from the doctor, and await his sentence.

William, Emily, John, and Dr. Adams followed in Will's coach, and the Bastions followed on horseback, leading with them the mare that Emily rode so hard to get to William.  

"What did you say to him?" asked Emily, looking into Will's eyes.

"Does the name 'Alice' mean anything to you?" asked Will.

"Well, I know but one person by that name, my aunt's maid. But why?"

"I have to speak with her," said Will, looking out of the window.

"What's this all about?" asked Emily, feeling frustrated at her husband's evasiveness.

"I don't want to upset you, my love," answered William, and hugged her closer to him.

"Will, please...I want to know what's happening."

"Alice may have some answers about...it's possible she's been Rupert's accomplice. He said her name before losing consciousness."

"I don't believe it," said Emily.

"This is precisely why I didn't want to say anything... You are determined to always see good in people, Emi."

"Well, it's absolutely absurd! Alice is a sweet girl...she wouldn't harm a fly. She's been with my aunt for years, Will. It would be utterly ridiculous to be suspicious of her."

"Emily, please...need I remind you that not too long ago you thought Rupert to be your very good friend?"

Emily didn't have a clever retort to that argument. Perhaps Will was right, she was too trusting.

--#--

Upon their return to the city, William didn't want to waste any time. Together with Emily they went directly to Mrs. Varnes.

    "May we speak with Alice, aunt?" asked Emily, not wanting to raise panic by disclosing too much information.

    "Whyever for?" asked Mrs. Varnes suspiciously. "Has the girl done something amiss?"

    "No, no...not at all...I simply wanted to ask her something..." said Emily, hoping her vague response wouldn't prompt further inquiry. Will couldn't even bring himself to smile. All he wanted was to get to the bottom of this.

    Mrs. Varnes rang the bellpull and in a few moments Alice entered the drawing room. She was a freckled blonde girl of no more than three and twenty.

    "You rang, madam?" she asked, with her hands folded atop her starched apron.

    "Yes, Alice, it seems my niece has some questions for you."

    Alice turned her attention to Emily. Will was standing in the corner, fighting himself not to interfere.

    "Won't you sit down," offered Emily, motioning the maid to sit across from her.

    Alice took her seat and stared blankly at Emily.

    "Alice. I am going to ask you some questions and all I ask is that you be completely honest with me."