Chapter 20: The Duel

Upon their return to London William brought Emily back into the temporary care of Mrs. Varnes. She was to help her niece pack her belongings as Emily was moving into the Burton townhouse in St. James.

 Meanwhile, William met with John Christi for lunch at a small café on Piccadilly Street.

    “What news, my friend?” asked Will, taking a sip of his coffee.

    “I’ve much to tell you,” began John. He ordered ale and a sandwich and took out a thick pamphlet of papers.

    “What’s this?” asked Will, picking up and the document.

    “Dossier on Rupert.”

    Will quickly browsed over the pages. “His real name is Rupert Louts? I don’t understand…”

    “No wonder no one in our circles knew him. Inspector Cleaver went to Portsmouth and found Rupert’s real family. His father is a fisherman on the docks, his mum a barmaid. The father said Rupert had been gone for months, but that he sent them money periodically. Mrs. Louts told Mr. Cleaver that there used to be a noble family of Lord and Lady Nathaniel Sutter residing in a nearby manor, but that they had passed away years ago, leaving no heirs.”

    “So, he had assumed their name and moved to London to penetrate society. But where did he get the means? Does he have some kind of a sponsor or benefactor?” asked Will perusing the file.

    “Mr. Cleaver tagged the bugger with a few of his boys from the investigating office. They followed Rupert around for days. Turns out, he’s been making biweekly visits to Essex, to visit an old relation. Only she isn’t his relation at all. She’s the great aunt of Charles Sutter, Nathaniel’s nephew twice removed, who perished in the West Indies three years ago. It appears he was the favorite of hers and the last male to inherit the Sutter estates. Rupert showed up on her doorstep and presented himself as a long lost relation. He charmed and coerced her into giving him money, and the senile old widow took him to her bosom. She’s mighty wealthy, and gullible, it appears.”

    “What a snake, taking a trusting old woman for her money,” said Will in disgust.

    “It has been mighty hard not to confront him, Will, but we all know that it is your right to settle the score first.”

    “You’ve done well, my friend. I thank you,” said Will.

    “That’s not all, William. It appears Rupert has got an accomplice in his dealings. You mentioned a man called Dr. Humphreys. Well, he’s no doctor at all. A wanted convict, it appears. Patrick Reed—a master of trickery and disguise. The Scotland Yard has been after him for months.”

    “I suspected as much… Not to worry. Justice will be served soon enough,” said Will, his hands turning into fists. “What have Hayle and Egan been up to?”

    “They wined and dined him, and took him to brothels and to the races. Rupert doesn’t suspect a thing; he’s quite convinced that his treachery has been successful.”

    “Good,” said Will, his jaw clenching.

    “When will you make your move?”

    “First I want to make sure Emily is safe and protected. Also, I need to have a real doctor inspect her and give her a proper diagnosis.”

    “Of course.”

    “But don’t worry, soon enough Rupert Louts will know the true meaning of regret.”

--#--

    After lunch William rushed to Mrs. Varnes to see Emily, but not before he summoned Dr. Adams to accompany him. When they arrived, Gordy informed that Mrs. Varnes had left to visit Louisa, but Miss Summerset would receive them presently. Will smiled inwardly at hearing Emily’s maiden name…,soon she would be known to all as Mrs. Burton.