Chapter 19: The Avenger

William didn’t waste any time. He called upon his closest friends for counsel.

Jamison ushered in Lords Hayle and Egan Bastion into the drawing room of Will’s townhouse. Mr. John Christi was already waiting inside.

“Egan, you’re finally back. It’s good to see you,” said John shaking Egan’s hand.

“Yes, it’s good to be back, my friend. I haven’t seen Will in a while but Hayle has informed me that there has been a lot going on…”

“Though I am not entirely sure what happened last night. All I hear is that Will left unexpectedly and Miss Summerset followed suit with her aunt. They must have had some words, but I am not certain to what effect.”

“Why are we congregated here?” asked Egan. “Surely, Athenaeum’s would have been just as well…”

“It must be a matter of some secrecy, no doubt,” mused Hayle. “Burton probably doesn’t want anyone interrupting us.”

“How perceptive you are, Lord Bastion,” said William, entering the drawing room. “Jamison, we are not to be disturbed,” instructed Will to his butler, who left bowing and closing the door behind him.

    “Hello Egan, I know you’ve only just arrived, it was good of you to come,” said Will offering the men to be seated.

    “What’s all this about, Will?” asked John, leaning forward in his chair.

    “A most interesting turn of events, my friends. It should first be known that Miss Emily Summerset and I are reunited and are eloping to Gretna Green this afternoon. Secondly, upon my return I am going to challenge Mr. Rupert Sutter to a duel, for he is a villain and must pay for his unspeakable treachery.”

    The men looked dumbfounded.

    “I knew the man was a scoundrel from the start,” said Hayle folding his arms.

“What exactly is Mr. Sutter’s offense?” asked Egan.

    “He had poisoned Emily’s good intentions, and was the single cause for the untimely dissolution of our engagement. He lied and connived and plotted to revenge upon me.”

    “For what?” asked Egan confused.

    “No,” said John. “It cannot be because of Emily, can it? The opera fiasco?”

    “He’d sworn he didn’t harbor any resentment towards you on that matter.”

    “It would appear that Mr. Sutter is a liar…” concluded Hayle.

    “But are you quite sure a duel is the best resolution for the situation?” asked John.

    “I think it most fitting, the man must pay with his life for what he’s done,” said Egan.

    “You need only ask, and I will be your second,” offered Hayle.

    “He could be a good shot,” cautioned John.

    “It is a question of honor, my friends. He will not go unpunished for this,” said William.

    “How will you issue the challenge?” asked John.

    “When I return, we’ll get together at the club as we always do…and make sure Rupert is there. Until then, not a word. Not even a hint. He must go on thinking that everything has worked out in his favor. Don’t breathe a word of it to anyone. And don’t mention anything about my wedding. We’re getting married in secret so that it’s done quickly and without prying eyes. Of course, Emily will not know about the duel, and I’d like to keep it that way.”