Chapter 15: All is Wrecked

Rupert greeted his guests as they arrived with a much practiced smile.

“Ah, Mr. Thorpe, I see you’re a solitary man tonight. Whatever happened to the lovely Miss Angelique?” asked Rupert.

“It turned out she really was more in love with my bank account than myself.”

“Ah, that is a sad realization indeed, but don’t let your disposition be morose tonight. There are plenty of ladies present here to tempt your eye I dare say.”

“I appreciate your optimism, Rupert,” said Mr. Thorpe and moved slowly toward the grand hall.

“Oh, Mr. and Mrs. Walker, won’t you join the Walthams at the card table? They would be most pleased.”

Mr. and Mrs. Walker smiled and proceeded to the game room.

--#--

William and Emily were in the carriage on their way to Rupert’s. William looked at his fiancé and smiled. She had been gone but a week and he felt like he was going to expire for the inability to see her.

“We’re not terribly late, are we Will?” asked Emily nervously.

“No, my sweet, I believe we’re fashionably late…nothing the ton won’t recover from. I waited for a week to see you while you were cruelly absent, frolicking with your silly friend Fiona in Paris. Now let the rest of them wait for you…”

Emily didn’t seem to even hear him, so preoccupied was she with tonight’s heavy burden.

“Darling, is something the matter?” asked Will, unable to bear how withdrawn Emily had been all evening.

“Everything is quite all right, Will.”

“You’ve hardly said a word to me since I picked you up. And you do appear rather distressed about something.” Will took Emily’s hand and looked into her eyes.

“If there is something troubling you, I wish you would tell me. It pains me to see you worried or upset…This is our engagement party after all. Rupert has put out quite an effort to offer his home in celebration of our pending union…”

“I know, Will. And I am sorry. I’ve just….I’ve just had a terrible headache all day. Do forgive me…”

“Of course, Emi. I’m sorry you didn’t tell me sooner. If you would like I could order the carriage to turn back and I could take you back to your aunt’s…”

“No, no. Will, please. It’s only a headache. I am fine, truly. And your friend has, as you said, put out such an effort to organize everything. I wouldn’t want to disrespect him…”

“Emi, your wellbeing means more to me than any social obligation.”

Emily could only smile at William. This man truly loved her, she thought. Oh what was she to do?

“Perhaps this will help alleviate some of your discomfort,” said Will and leaned in to press his warm lips on Emily’s forehead.

Emily closed her eyes as she felt tears choking her.

“You know I love you, Emi. I love you more than life itself.”

“I love you too,” said Emily trying to look away, but Will wouldn’t let her. He took her chin with his fingers and guided her face to meet his in a kiss.

Emily kissed him back, welcoming the warm sensation. Will intensified the kiss, sliding his fingers down the smooth column of her neck, feeling her pulse quicken.

“Oh Emi, I can’t wait to make you my wife…” said he and kissed her again.

Emily was holding on to him, inhaling his scent, running her fingers through his hair. Could she give this up? Give up paradise?