Chapter 11: Secret Garden

Unusually warm spring weather afforded great opportunities for garden parties, and none were so popular as those hosted by the newlyweds, Mr. and Mrs. Middleton.

Their grand estate was just outside of London and boasted some of the most glorious gardens in the area. After playing a few rounds of croquet on the lawns the small group of friends headed for the tents to enjoy some tea and crumpets.

John Christi, cradling a tea cup and saucer in his lap, was sitting back in the wicker chair when Rupert Sutter, mallet still in hand, took a seat next to him.

“Miss Summerset looks ravishing, does she not?” said Rupert gently swinging the mallet.

“So she does,” agreed John taking a sip of his tea.

“Burton looks very pleased with himself. I suppose, I would be as well. Emily is stunning…”

“I think it best you keep your musings to yourself, old chap, lest Will should hear you.”

“I’ve not said anything amiss, I only admire from a far.”

William approached and took a seat next to John and Rupert.

“Well, gentlemen, soon you will lament the loss of a good friend, for I will be completely consumed with my new bride and our wedded bliss, leaving no time to be spent with you, my unfortunate bachelors.”

“Ah, all that may be well, but do not forget your long time goal, Burton, the Parliament. The seat awaits you, my liege…” quipped Rupert.

“That’s right,” added John, “don’t be so reckless as to forget the life work of your father—to get his son into the Parliament, to have the power to make change…”

“I haven’t forgotten. But that should not stand in the way of my enjoying the company of my beautiful wife.”

“Speaking of whom…here comes Miss Emily now,” said Rupert, unable to stifle an envious stare.

“Here you are. Commiserating the upcoming cessation of your single days?” smiled Emily.

“Nothing of the kind, my darling. I look forward to abandoning my rakish ways and settling down with the most wonderful woman on Earth.”

“Really? And is this woman in attendance?” asked Emily teasingly.

Will grabbed her waist and pulled her onto his lap. Emily tried to break away, feeling embarrassed.

“She is here, so we must try to be discreet, Miss Summerset,” said Will kissing her cheek.

“Oh Lord, I think I need something stronger than tea to sustain me through this grotesque display of affection…” said Rupert sarcastically, slowly getting out of his chair. “I’m in desperate need of a scotch, anyone care to point me in the direction of the bar?”

“Actually, Mr. Sutter, I’m headed to the house to consult Mrs. Middleton on some flower arrangements. I can help you find what is needed inside,” said Emily, and giving Will a kiss on the forehead left with Rupert in the direction of the house.

“Miss Summerset,” began Rupert as they were approaching the house, “I would like to congratulate you on winning the heart of one of the most ineligible bachelors in London.”

“Thank you, Mr. Sutter. Although, I was under the impression that Will was quite eligible.”

“In status, certainly. He’s well established, impeccably connected in society, and a handsome devil to boot. But don’t you find it strange that a man of such stature and respectability took so long to find a wife? Believe me, I have seen an impressive share of ladies throw themselves in his way, only to be passed by with utter indifference. But then again, after what happened in Rome one can’t blame the man for being cautious. You must really be something extraordinary, Miss Summerset.”