Chapter 16

Shoto POV

It wasn't always like this. Before any of this happened, I was just a kid who had to survive on my own.

When I was younger, I used to live in a cabin with my mom, dad, and my brothers and sister. We would play tag, hide and seek in the woods, and have warm meals at the table everyday. It was all good and I was comfortable and happy.

Until one day, everything changed...

"Shoto! Toya! Natsuo! Fuyumi! It's lunch time!" My mother called for us to come back to the cabin.

"Coming mom!" I shouted back as I carefully climbed down the tree and rushed up to the cabin, along with my brothers and sister. I watched as she opened the door with one hand and cleaned her other hand from her apron.

My father put out some firewood. He used a rag that was hanging on the handle of the axe and wiped his hands before eating. Fuyumi skip walked to the table and sat down, while Natsuo and Toya walked in and took a seat. My mom picked me up and set me down in a chair.

Soon, food was brought to the table, and I could feel some drool coming out of my mouth as I awed at the food.

"Let's not stare at our food now, everybody dig in!" My father took a bowl of mashed potatoes and used a spoon to put some on his plate and passed it on. Toya helped me with my plate and passed the mashed potatoes to Fuyumi. "So, what have you four been doing today so far?"

"I played hide and seek with Toya! He couldn't find me in the end, which means that I win!"

"Nuh-uh! We stopped playing when mom called us back for lunch. Meaning, you didn't win, we paused the game."

"Pfft! Since when are you a sore loser, Toya? You're the big brother in this family, I don't see how losing a game would get you this worked up." Fuyumi teased Toya and stuck her tongue out at him.

"Fuyumi, be nice. We don't stick our tongues out at people."

"I know, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop doing it in front of my brothers." My mom sighed and shook her head and chuckled at that remark.

"Toya, I have something I want to give you," My father spoke out and pulled something out of his pocket. Toya tilted his head in confusion at the trinket.

"What is it?"

"This," he gestures to Toya to come over to him as he hands him his present, "was a ring my father gave me when I was just about your age."

"What's so special about this necklace?" Natsuo squinted his eyes at his food while playing with it.

"It's tradition in the family that whoever turns eleven years old, we pass it down to the oldest in the family. Now, it's your turn to watch it with your life." My father said to us.

"Weren't you an only child when grandpa gave you that thing?"

"That's besides the point!" That hit him right in the guts, "Aside from that, my father told me it brings good fortune. After all, I met your mother and we're all here together in a nice warm cabin."

"Hey mom! Can me and Toya play outside when we're done eating?"

"Of course, as soon as you finish your-." A knock on the door could be heard from the outside. "Who could that be?"

"I don't know. Wait here, I'll go check," my dad said as he got off the chair and walked up the door to open it. "Hello there, what can I do for-." He stopped mid sentence. Our full attention was now on him as he slowly turned around with a knife in his stomach.