Chapter 12

The air was cold, the weather was straight-up shit, and it was just not a good day for anyone.

And anyone meant everyone.

Carter numbly tended to the firewood, watching the weak flames try to regain their once bright appearance. It's been days, perhaps even weeks since the timeline had started to undergo the main stage of the prince's backstory. Which was unexpectedly dragging, seeing as he had only read the part being about three to four sentences long and not entirely in detail about what occurred.

But then again, the experience was much too different from a once-reader point of view.

He would gladly give his role to another 'I wish I was reincarnated into this novel!' fan and have his life dealt with already because he was exhausted now. Mentally, physically, emotionally- you name it, he has it. It's not even as dramatic as he had watched on TV Dramas, he just felt extremely empty and it's not only because of the fact he was on an empty stomach-

The old man beside him sighed, glancing at the dark clouds that began to cover up the sky. "When will this end? Soon enough we'll all freeze to death than starvation," he muttered. 

A jab to his gut caused him to cast a glare towards the youngster, who in turn, glared back at him as well, gesturing towards the pair in front of them with the subtle roll of his eyes. Right. Has he mentioned yet that he somehow managed to adopt an entire group during this crisis?

No? Well, now you know.

The duo, consisting of a mother and her son, tensed up even more. "Will... Will we really d-die?" The child had to be younger than Yuan, but at this point, Carter wasn't sure if that was the case or if the poor thing was just too far on malnutrition to even properly hit their growth spurt. 

"Shush, just rest," their mother immediately held them in her arms, letting the child lean against her chest as she combed through their hair soothingly. All too painfully, a familiar image overlapped them, and Carter had to look away otherwise his chest would start doing uncomfortable flips all over again.

Su Xiaochen leaned against him, resting her head on his shoulder. "Better to just get it over with," she mumbled under her breath, enough for the male to hear, but just barely. 

"You're heavy," he replied blankly, yet did not make any move to push her off, as if doing so would take away what was left of his energy. 

"Thanks," was all she retorted back before she slumped against him even more.

Carter glanced at the pouring rain outside of the run-down shrine.

Was it better to endure this than what was to come?

He steadily returned his gaze over to the weakening fire in front of him, poking with much more forceful movements.

He tried not to complain too much. After all, he and Xiaochen were able to find decent companions in this time of tragedy. Carter looked over to the mother-son pair before sneaking a peek towards the old man on the side, who raised his brows in what was supposed to be a threatening manner, only to look like he was trying to make them reach into his hairline. Carter proceeded to do the same.

They don't offer much, hell, there's nothing they can offer in terms of supplies and living conditions-

But their company was enough.

More than enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~