Chapter 3

Carter weighs the pouch in his hand, trying not to feel too disheartened as he does so. It had grown considerably lighter, enough to nearly create an illusion of being empty. As the vendor passed over the sweet to him, he smiled politely and thanked him. 

But, somehow, he did not feel as thankful as he thought he would be. Only numb. All his efforts for just one treat; took out more energy out of him than necessary.

But as he turned back, facing the child waiting a distance away, the numb feeling drifted off his being, filling him with renewed vigour. With the dessert tightly clenched in his hand, he walks over the distance in just a few strides, trying to calm his beating chest as he finally stands straight.

He hands it to the child.

".. Brother, you won't have any?" Yuan looked up at him and hesitantly grabbed the thin bamboo stick, unconsciously bringing it to his nose for a sniff. His eyes widened as he did so, looking as if he had been given a new toy to play with rather than to eat. 

If he could, Carter knew the child would've kept the treat under some secret stash to remind himself that such a delicacy existed in the world. Yuan had done that many times, but soon ceased continuing the bad habit when he had found the said stash due to its foul smell.

This was most likely one of the few times this child could taste something sweet.

One of the few times...

The thought lounges in his stomach like a tapeworm before Carter gulps silently, waving his hand dismissively. "No. Ate already. Before."

Yuan glanced up at the male before shaking his head and holding out the treat to him. "I won't eat if you won't eat," he spoke firmly. 

As he said this, he grabbed the teen's hand, intending to shove the dessert back into it. Carter smiles placidly despite the dread building up deep in his stomach. Children often do not realise the power of throwing people into a pit of guilt. 

"Well, I won't eat so you won't eat," Carter repeated instantly, ripping his hand away. The child didn't even flinch when he heard this, nodding approvingly. "Yes, so it's fair now."

"No, wait- I mean- you should eat, because I won't eat."

"Then I won't eat either."

"Why so stubborn?" Carter pinches the bridge between his brows, a deep sigh escaping him. After some thought, the teen hesitantly kneeled onto one knee, since by doing so, he could be at the same height as the child in front of him. 

Though the muscles he had pulled to do that one simple action were crying for mercy, he easily ignored the strain. 

"Yuan, I... I'm okay, alright? I don't need concern from you, I've... I've already tried something like this in the past, but you haven't yet... Do you see my point?" He questioned softly.

Yuan blinked slowly, almost sceptical, "Brother, do you not want to share?"

"I've already had my share.. long ago," he answered carefully. It was the truth, after all. He did consume similar, even better, delicacies in the duration of his carefree life. He already had his share of such luxury in his past life. That fact was undeniable. 

Upon seeing the frown settling on Yuan's features, Carter awkwardly scratched the back of his neck before offering a weak grin. "Why... Why don't you give it to your mom? I'm sure she didn't taste much of this before either."