Chapter 15

"Why is it that he gets special treatment?" 

Carter pauses from the sudden question, hands still in the process of wringing out a water-soaked cloth. He draws his gaze to the man beside him. Holding a dislocated elbow with his free-functioning hand, the man had suffered a horrendous amount of burns and open wounds which still bled down his skin like an open fountain, dripping onto the ground and staining it with copper. 

Carter purses his lips, not making any comment as he lifts and pats the cloth against the dark-red deformed shapes that look as if they were carved against the man's body in an act of torture.

Ever since the prince had dropped into the earth like some meteor, he had been rushed into one of the vacant and, considerably, the cleanest, still functioning houses, in his opinion. Or was hut a more suitable term? Either way. The citizens were not happy about it, and now Carter was being used as one of those journals where people can just crash down their envious feelings with no remorse for the pages they've been ripping into. 

If only he can do the same. Sadly he had no time to do so, nor anyone to use either. Such a shame. Truly.

"We're all suffering, but because he's nobility, he gets extra, huh? Typical." 

It's good to see the geezer had the energy to gossip. At least he'll live. Carter keeps a blank face on, unconsciously keeping the tune of 'Poker Face' going on a non-stop loop in his head. Although, that may be an unfortunate thing rather than something to rejoice about. 

"We're just mere mortals to them, bastards. Heh, people like you and I-" Carter wishes to increase the volume of his imaginary music app.

He was not part of this. Disgusting. He was not some Regina George character. 

"We're just trying to survive with what we have, yeah?" The man scoffs, although rather weakly than his previous tone. 

There's a tinge of pity swelling inside him at the poor sight, but it is considerably lesser than that of the others. Sure. The victims had a rough patch to deal with, but so did the so-called perpetrator. The prince didn't have it easy either, nor will he ever have it easy again for the rest of his two thousand years of existence before being sealed under a mountain with only a vassal he had a bitter-sweet relationship with to keep him company.

It wasn't that he wanted to disregard the citizens of a once-prosperous kingdom, and he was sure he would be one of the vicious ones as well if he had not what was happening behind the scenes. Still, listening to two sides of a story can help people see the hidden perspective that not many know about. 

Carter sighs heavily. Not like they would ever give the prince a chance to explain anyway. They would most likely want something to vent on, though it is rather reasonable on their part, and his highness happened to be the perfect outlet for their anger.

.. That made it seem as if they were the villains. Which was sort of true, in a roundabout way.

"Ow!" 

Carter carefully peels away the excess, ripped cloth remaining on a wound, discarding it to the side. The man scowls at the pain but is silent throughout the rest of the cleaning process. It wasn't rare, though, to see some good people. Although the amount was rather low. Still, it's better than no one at all. He'd rather take them than have to deal with this guy in front of him any longer than he had to. 

He leans away, scanning the wounds before giving a small nod.

"Oh, you're finally finished? Took long enough."