Chapter 19

Rain began to pour, soaking into the soil and accompanying the sounds of thunder.

It was barely a bother. Not to him, anyway, even as it caused his clothes to drape, sticking to his skin, and as the droplets of rain clung to his lashes, nearly slipping into his eyes. He grabs the soil beneath him, blinking in awe at the feeling of earth before clumping it into his hand. Truly, it was entirely different from home. Entirely different despite being the same essence. The wind, even, carried a type of novel scent, blending in with the musky breath of rain and decay of life.

He nearly relishes the thought, staring up at the darkening, stormy sky. The earth in his palm crumbles into mere pieces, joining the dirt once more. Lightning flashes, a monstrous roar of thunder sounding out. The light flickers like a candle, just barely revealing the man's features before only his silhouette remains. Even beneath the heavy clouds, the shadows of trees and whatever surrounded him almost seemed to distort his form.

The man smiles at the sky.

Soon.

--------------------
Carter wasn't sure when exactly he had fallen asleep.

He just knew, that as soon as he opened his eyes, someone was there with him, checking his pulse and temperature. One of the vassals, Dong Haoran, Carter recalls vaguely. He couldn't see him, only able to recognise his features through a blurred vision, but he knew it was him, somehow. 

There was just something about his presence; steadfast like a lake frozen for several years. Like he, himself was winter personified. The man worked silently, pressing his palm against his forehead.

Carter flinches at the touch, and he can feel his body spasm, his breathing suddenly going uneven. He wanted to thrash and push the vassal away, but he was held down firmly. Dong Haoran doesn't panic, only pressing slightly against his wrist and shoulder with the damning strength of a mountain. Carter felt himself panic even more, though his mind was startlingly numb and quiet. 

"Calm down," the vassal said, not faltering even as Carter let out a cry of alarm, resisting persistently until he spent his energy, falling limp on his side.

After a while, Dong Haoran lets go and pulls away to sit formally on his knees. If Carter focused enough, he could feel a few soft strands of hair gliding across his arm before disappearing. Dong Haoran stares down at him, gaze calculating and cold. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked, his tone composed and frigid as always. The man didn't even sound surprised at his sudden panic attack, as if he was already used to it. Carter nearly curled in on himself. He didn't want to know the number of times this must have occurred in front of the vassal for the man to be this unbothered.

A hand locks onto his shoulder gently. "Ningjing." Silence follows, and the vassal subtly adds force to his hold, shaking his shoulder with the slightest amount of roughness. His voice became firm, "Ningjing." 

It snaps him out of his daze. Finally, Carter lets out a soft groan, acknowledging the call weakly.

"Can you sit up? I need to replace your bandage," Dong Haoran said. He lets go of his shoulder. Carter furrows his brows and takes a few deep breaths through his nose before attempting to push himself up. His muscles burned and stretched with the simple effort, and he stuttered in his movement, a sharp hiss escaping him as he clutched his working arm. The vassal was quick to catch him before he could plaster once more against the makeshift bed.