Chapter 8

Wong Su didn't bother dropping off the corpse at his house. He merely jumped out of the ditch, walked a distance away in case of any more casualties, and threw the body behind him into a nearby bush. 

Carter was pissed, but grateful, thus he didn't mutter much of a complaint and calmly untangled himself from the prickly branches and vines around him before he stood up, bowing in a manner that almost melted into his physique.

"Thank you for saving my life.." He glanced at the unknown person's face, somehow feeling a bit dreadful even with just the small amount of staring. To think that this man could be some heavenly being was on the borderline of chilling. He seriously just jumped like a freakin' Avenger superhero guy before their awakening battle mode!

A shiver gently ran over him before he darted his gaze to the dirt road below them. "This servant has troubled you greatly. One day, I'll.. make sure to repay you," he said with practised poise, despite the slight tremble in his overlapping hands.

The vassal noticed but just nodded. Whatever this commoner was dealing with, whether it be PTSD or something, wasn't his problem anyway. He shouldn't be too concerned about it. 

"Pray to his highness. Worship him as payment," he spoke as he dusted his sleeves. "If possible, forget you ever saw me." 

Carter had that very intention from the beginning. Even if it was a very fateful encounter, it only lasted a few moments before they went their separate ways again.

~~~~~~~~

Under the veil of darkness, Carter silently roamed the halls upon entering through the open window. As he walked, he casually grabbed the trinkets he passed by, stuffing them into his sleeves. Droplets of water followed behind him due to his still-soaked robes, causing a clear trail to be seen. If he weren't going to do what he was about to do, he would've been ordered to clean up his mess immediately.

But sadly, he planned to follow through until the end. There was no turning back now.

Not even that stupid assistant can hold him back anymore.

He crept through the servant quarters, steadily stepping over any sleeping workers on the floor as he made his way to the bathroom, gently shutting the door close. Carter looked forward, immediately coming face to face with a dust-filled mirror. He stared at himself for a moment before taking off his clothes. 

The face he had gotten used to as his own was glaring right back at him. It could be said that it was like Shi Ba himself was glaring at him right now. He couldn't even remember what he used to look like anymore.

Carter took a new pair of robes from the corner, hastening to put it on and get out as soon as possible. Bo Wu and Bo Liu were not around when he entered their room. It left him disheartened, but not enough to make him stay and wait for their arrival. Better that they thought he was dead instead, it would make it more easier for them to stop worrying about his well-being.

He glanced back at the house that hounded him ever since he entered through the front doors. It didn't take long before he turned his back on it, ensuring that the items he had just stolen were still kept safely in his sleeves as he walked away, with only a single destination in mind. For some strange reason, his chest began to feel lighter and he unknowingly began to grin.

Free.. He was finally free...

He staggered in his pace. No.. not yet. He was far from free right now. It was clear that freedom was never in his reach unless it meant running away. Carter let out a deep sigh. At least, he'd be happy before those days of horror. That was enough already. As long as he was content in the last moments, that was enough...