Chapter 10

The last time I checked, everyone loved the prince.

Carter numbly picked up a shard of jade from the many broken pieces, running his finger through the edge until it bled slightly. He glared at the side, at the other statue that dared replace the original one. 

"Brother, we should go," Yuan urged softly, tugging at his arm. But he didn't move just yet. Despite saying he didn't care about the present circumstances, he still had some basic fucking decency to just stay loyal on one side.

The god wasn't a statue of his highness, but one of the north kingdom. Another martial god, to be precise. Everyone had already been switching gods like it was some sick game; one where they would use the most advantageous options. 

Now, it was clear to see who won over the owner of this house. 

"W-Why're you picking it up?" The child- no, teen- barely teen, actually- stuttered and froze in place, most likely from fear.

"Who cares?" Carter's face was dark. "They threw it away anyways." 

The pieces felt heavy in his hold, as if he could feel the prince himself through it. Though, that's probably just a feeling. 

"Pass me the pouch," he spoke, and immediately, it landed by his side. 

In the end, it was inevitable, he thought as he began to dunk the jade shards inside. The so-called darling of the heavens would soon fall, be replaced, be bullied by his people, and get his revenge that could end an entire heavenly capital era.

"Brother Ningjing, tell me again why you're not scared about the.. the.."

"The rumbling?"

"Yes..."

Ah, well- he had always been comforted by my words, so it's best to say them. Again.

Carter turned around, kneeling, as he gazed up at the boy. Yuan blinked innocently, and his heart ached. This was the boy he took great care of when he arrived here- in this world- one of the only people who kept him sane throughout this ordeal. He couldn't even wonder what would've happened if they hadn't met by coincidence in the past.

"Yuan," he smiled sadly. "You know I love you, right? You and your mom?" 

Hearing this, Yuan grew flustered, gripping his broomstick tighter before nodding hesitantly with an unsure look. "No need to be hesitant, it's the truth." 

Carter stood up, tucked the pouch into his sleeve, and walked a few steps forward, the room silent despite the occasional creaks of the wooden tiles. "There's a time for us in the world. It may not be the longest time, it may not be the shortest time, but there's still a time."

And that time was slowly running out.

"We.. don't have the time to worry about the future. I, too, was worried before but, I realised that no amount of anxiety can change anything in the end," he shrugged carelessly, but the tension was clear by how his shoulders went stiff. 

"I don't care-" that was a lie, "-about the future, Yuan. Because if I did, there would be no use for the present." 

Yuan had matured over the years, instantly stunned into silence in contrast with his usual curious persona. It made his heart ache to see this child become one of the victims of the unfolding tragedy, but then again, who wasn't a victim in this world?