Chapter 37

New York 2023

Lydia was right. Something in her was changing, and she didn't know if that was good or bad. There's a difference now. The anger inside her was eating away at her. She felt hot, she felt enraged.

It burned, the anger. Lydia had never felt anything like it before.

The world was cruel, and it was clear now that it was against her. Everyone she loved always left her. They left on their own, or they died. That was her story. That was how it always goes.

She had been there when Tony took his final breath, but not with Natasha. Steve told her what happened. He told her all of it. Knowing that she sacrificed herself to save not only her but half of the universe destroyed her. 

Sadly, it made sense. It sounded like something Natasha would do. She fought Clint until the very end, making sure he lived to see his family again. That's what Lydia hated the most, she supposed. Because she couldn't hate Natasha for saving everyone. Lydia would have done the same.  

She died to bring everyone back. For the soul stone. But Clint came back without a scratch.

"Tell Lydia that I'm sorry," Natasha spoke to Clint in her final moments. "And that I have always loved her." 

Natasha said that to Clint, and he didn't even have the guts to tell her. He had Steve do it for him. He couldn't even look at her anymore. She reminded him too much of Natasha. No, all he could do was tell her that she died in the middle of the battle and then avoid her. How could he do that? 

Every thought she had was one of anger and hate.

Lydia didn't intend to think that way but couldn't stop the thoughts. All wishing for Natasha to be here, even if Clint wasn't. It was selfish. She knew that, but still, the thoughts remained. Clint had a family that loved him, and he needed to be here for them. 

But Natasha had a family too, and she never returned to them. To Lydia.

Part of Lydia was grateful that Clint wasn't speaking to her. Lydia feared that when she opened her mouth, her anger would take over. Words spoken in anger would always be regretted later. Lydia knew that well.

Wanda kept her grounded as best she could but was grieving the loss of Vision. Lydia tried to be there for her, but it was hard. Lydia swore she would die in her own sadness. In her grief.

Tony had a daughter. Her name was Morgan. Lydia almost couldn't believe it, but five years was a long time. Morgan resembled her father. The same eyes, the same dark brown that were both equally friendly and intimidating. She was young and didn't seem to fully understand what was happening.

That Tony wasn't coming home ever again.

It was hard to watch. Lydia found herself waiting outside for most of the funeral. It took place at his house, a tiny cabin by a lake. It was a beautiful place, and Lydia found some comfort in knowing Tony had found peace in her five-year absence.

She only wished Natasha could have done the same.

Lydia seemed to be making a lot of selfish choices lately. Somewhere inside the cabin, they were watching something Tony had left behind. A recording of himself that Happy was instructed to play. She couldn't find it in herself to watch it. Not yet, anyway. He had only just died, and it was still fresh. Seeing his face and hearing his voice would destroy her all over again.

She wasn't the only one outside. There were others, a lot. Wanda was by her side, but that was expected. They were always together. Numerous others that Lydia had never seen before were there as well. James was on her other side with Sam. The raccoon named Rocket and the tree named Groot were present, with a few others. One of them was blue. Her name was Nebula. She was kind.