Mydnight Symphony Ch. 17 The War: The Beginning

Chapter Seventeen 

"Why were you listening to us?" Dara snarled, jumping up, and pointing a finger in the face of the violet-haired young woman.

"Oh please." Alaiza said, rolling her eyes. "I knew about the Levi-John Transfer years ago. He made the final switch yesterday."

"Well, sit down, and tell us what you know!" Dara's fists were clenched, and she looked as if she was about to punch Alaiza in the face.

"Why did John steal Levi's body?" Jasmyn asked softly. Secretly, she was intimidated by Alaiza, and didn't want to provoke her by screaming at her like Dara.

Alaiza smirked. "John? He had nothing to do with this."

"But why was-"

"Let me finish." Alaiza said. "John wasn't meant to take over Levi's body. It was supposed to be the other way around. Levi was supposed to be the parasite." She looked directly at Jasmyn. "You never knew learned what John's "top secret" mission was, did you?"

Jasmyn shook her head. "No. I never even learned the cause of his death."

"Because John isn't dead. His top secret mission? Paranormal studies. He was to go out into the Nevadan desert, and research alien activity. He did. He found us. Levi took him captive, and as protest, sold John's life to the Category.

"I was with them when John and Levi began the Transfer process. However, something went wrong. somehow, Levi became the host, and John became the parasite." Alaiza said.

"Do you know how this happened?" Jasmyn asked.

Alaiza didn't respond.

Dara stared at her with a growing intensity. Suddenly, she burst out, "You switched them!"

Alaiza sighed, and nodded.

"Why would you do that?!" Dara snarled.

Alaiza snorted. "Have you ever wondered why there's no High King? Levi killed my father and my brother. They were in the Q-Ship Levi crashed into the asteroid, and I still have never forgiven him for that!"

Jasmyn and Dara instantly went silent. "I'm sorry," they both said simultaneously.

"Don't be." Alaiza said, looking up at the high ceiling. Jasmyn followed her gaze to the large, ornate chandelier hanging 30 feet above their heads. "My dad was a chauvinistic jerk. He wouldn't have became High King, because my mom was High Queen before she married him. Due to Regency rule, my brother would become High King, for the same reason Levi would rule before his father. My own father, he didn't believe that because my mom was a woman, she was fit to rule the entire Regency. My brother Maizin, he was just like my dad. He never liked me. He was competing with me our whole lives for the throne when our mother stepped down. To tell you the truth, I didn't switch John and Levi for what happened to my father and Maizin."

"Why did you switch them, then?"

"I knew that Levi would end up with the throne and become High King instead of me. Even though he killed thousands of people, people still liked him over me."

"So, this was basically all just a popularity contest? You ruined lives because you wanted to keep your seat as the High Queen when your mother stepped down?" Dara asked, disgusted.

Alaiza looked genuinely ashamed. "I know, I'm a jerk. I'm half as bad as Levi. People would find out about John, and no one would accept him, because he wasn't Regime, and only true Regime can rule the Regency."

"Instead of pointing fingers," Jasmyn said, standing up, "We need to do something about this."

"We can't do anything." Dara sad. "John made the final switch. Levi Prescott no longer exists. Remember?"