Mydnight Symphony Ch. 2 Not So Much of a Guardian Angel

Chapter Two       

 Where am I?  Jasmyn thought to herself. Pain shot through her entire body. She had to be in some sort of desert. She saw that her handbag was out and her wallet and fake identities were on the ground. Her alias, Erica Del Woodsley, made her ten years older than she actually was, and was one of the reasons she got the job as a federal agent. Her wit, cunning, and good looks were also factors. She blindly reached into her handbag and pulled out her cell phone. The time read 6:54 am. January 13. January 13? The last thing she remembered was being in the Tomoi Bunker on December 20th...

Jasmyn's eyes opened widely with a start. She was frozen, paralyzed with fear. The Tomoi Bunker had exploded December 21.  December 21, 2012. Every bunker on the Nevadan desert had exploded that day.

Jasmyn looked at her surroundings. Everything was gone. The only remnants of the planet Earth terra were rubble and debris, shards of metal, boulders and dry cracks on the surface. There were absolutely no signs of living bio-specimen, not even the tiny desert lizards that scampered about. She could see lights flickering in the distance, but realized right away that it was just a raging fire, just before the horizon. A raging fire that was blazing closer to where Jasmyn sat each minute.

I've got to get out of here, Jasmyn thought. She picked up her handbag, wallet, and identities, and agonizingly began to drag herself across the desert.

Her leg was broken, she was sure of that. But she couldn't stay where she was, or she'd be burned to death. That's when she saw the huge black puddle. It was much larger than a puddle, however it lacked in depth. It was maybe a few centimeters deep. Against every screaming will of her body, Jasmyn reached down and sniffed the puddle. It was oil! The incessant fire was burning on dry land. The oil which was seeping up from the ground was a bomb. Once the fire hit the oil, everything in its path would be obliterated. Jasmyn had absolutely no chance.

There was a large boulder about a hundred yards from the oil, but with her broken leg, it would take Jasmyn time to reach it. The fire was burning at a faster rate. She wouldn't make it in time.

Jasmyn hobbled over to the boulder, dragging her leg behind her. She could feel the heat creep up on her neck, over the fear. Right as she reached the boulder, however, she stopped.

Why does it matter if I live or not? I'm the last surviving post-Apocalypse human. Who will miss me? She pressed her hands to her ears.

The explosion was deafening, even with her ears covered. Death was coming, and she was waiting for it.

Suddenly, she was pulled behind the boulder. She gasped and looked as a spit of fire whipped right past where she was standing. She turned around to stare right into the eyes of a very worried young man.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" He screamed.

"Are you my guardian angel?" Jasmyn asked, in a daze.

"No!" He said loudly, grabbing both her shoulders and shaking her furiously. "I just saved your life!"

Suddenly everything dawned on her. This young man must have also been a survivor of the Apocalypse! Jasmyn wasn't the only one, she wasn't doomed! Then she realized that he must have been the reason all of her personal information was on the ground.

"I'm Levi Prescott. And you are -?"

"You know who I am! You looked through my stuff!" Jasmyn snapped, accusingly.

The young man laughed. Levi Prescott was a handsome man. He was tall and muscular, with short straight brown hair, bright blue eyes, and a beautiful smile. He was probably only a little bit older than Jasmyn, maybe thirty-one. He was starting to grow a little goatee, and he had glasses. He reminded her of someone she once knew.

"I'm sorry, Jasmyn or Erica? Which do prefer?"

Jasmyn laughed wearily. "Jasmyn."

Without warning Levi Prescott pulled out a gun. It was a strange gun, made up of glass tubes. Electricity cracked at the tip of the barrel. "Who are you and what are you and what are you doing on this planet!" He yelled.

Jasmyn immediately reached for the holster under her dress. She was armed with a pistol. It was unloaded, hopefully Jasmyn thought it would scare him into backing off.

"I'm Jasmyn Miller, Federal Agent. Put that weapon down immediately before you do something stupid! And what do you mean 'what are you doing on this planet? This is Earth, I'm human, I belong here!"

Levi hesitated, and then smiled. "You're not a federal agent. By that ID card, Erica Del Woodsley is. I don't know what happened to her, and I don't care. But I believe that you don't have the authority to be holding that gun." He walked up to Jasmyn and smacked the gun out of her hands. It scattered across the ground before clunking against the side of another boulder.

Jasmyn was trapped, and here she was with the only other person on the planet,and he was holding a gun to her chest.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Levi, if that even is your real name?!" Jasmyn screamed.

"I know for sure that Jasmyn probably isn't yours." Levi responded, and pulled the trigger. A hundred volts of electricity surged through Jasmyn's body. She fell to the ground in agony. Levi stood over Jasmyn's body. "No human could have survived the Apocalypse that intact."