(Chapter 48) Drawing Connections

Jared had twenty books open to various pages sprawled out across a table. Since Selice's leave, he had a much harder time finding the required texts and it dragged down his time immensely. And he wasn't sure how much he had left now that the prince wasn't here to vouch for his stay.

He gathered the list of things needed for a tracking spell, like a fire made by birch branches, and a map of the world outlined by the wood's ash, and checked the steps over for the hundredth time. It wasn't at all an easy thing to do and he couldn't recklessly risk his chance at finding a courier, and possible the last person alive who knew of King Leviathan's words.

Over the centuries, accounts had been made, few and far in between, of those who meet these wandering travelers. It was said they were on a mission to spread the king's peace throughout the world. That they were unnaturally powerful, with magic unparalleled to even the graduates of Attwood. In the tales, the couriers told of how they learned the skills from the king's diary filled with wisdom that only the men turned gods ever grasped. He never knew if he could believe such stories, but Selice's charm wasn't something that could be made without the knowledge of the past, and the fact the insignia matched the chisel in the coat pocket was no coincidence.

He may be grasping at air to draw the two together, but Jared knew that when seemingly unrelated things connected in such strange ways, it was never random, it was a sign. And if he could find this man, he may very well lead him to the king's diary. But that was all dependent on if Jared could track him with only the jacket. Clothes only held the wearer's energy for as long as they possed them but this looked well worn and gave Jared hope that he had quite a while to find the man.

He was also hesitant to experiment with burning small pieces of the jacket because there needed to be enough ashes made from it for his magic to grasp and he risked making the jacket so small it would never work. Finding someone competent in the art of tracking was also tricky with his lack of connections and how expensive it was. Plus it wasn't guaranteed to work or that they wouldn't go to the location themselves if they thought there were any riches to be found.

Jared's contemplation broke with the loud thud of the library's door being slammed open.

"Is Loy here!" Devane shouted.

His eyes fired daggers at Jared who was too intimidated to say anything but the truth. He shook his head no, holding a book up to his chest to protect himself in case the man's outrage turned against him.

"That psychotic brat," Devane fumed. "He ran away again and I'm pretty sure he dragged Selice with him."

Jared watched as Devane grabbed his collection of birchwood and threw it into the empty hearth. He set it afire with his magic and threw in a sheet Loy had been using. The flames burned away the new food and the advisor drew out the ashes with his magic and guided them to the map Jared had made. They wafted into a single point on the outskirts of Etilia.

"How does he cover so much distance so quickly?" Devane asked out loud but to himself. He couldn't even send any guards to fetch him because he would beat them all in a fight. And even if Devane dragged him back himself he would just run away at the next opportunity, probably with a transportation stone to take him much farther this time. "And after I just made the arrangements for him to meet with Salaris."

"Did you just track him?" Jared asked.

"Yes," Devane answered but looked over the map. "When you're in charge of a flight risk prince you tend to learn these things," Devane sighed, finally looking more closely to Jared's assortment of tools. "And who were you trying to track?"

Jared hesitated to say anything, but the man was already well aware of his plans. "I don't know who it is, but he might be the only one who has the answers I've been looking for."

Devane looked at the jacket Jared still held. "This is what belonged to him?"

"I believe so."

Devane gestured for it and Jared handed it over. The advisor turned it over, feeling the residual energy left by someone other than Jared. Quite a strong connection and one that wouldn't fade for a very long time. "And you're planning to go after him?"

"If you may be so kind as to help me find out where he is," Jared said back hopefully.

Devane looked him over. He was always reading people, and Jared's transparency sometimes made him harder to read as someone who operated amongst politicians. "And what are you willing to give me in return for this?"

"Anything," Jared swore with absolute assurance.

"Good," Devane replied, as a plan formed in his head. "Be prepared for just that."