1.

My face and ears are so hot.
The only thing that can be heard is the sound of my shoes hitting the marble floor as l walk into my fancy new school.

There's no one here. At least not yet. We only start school tomorrow, but the principal wanted to see me. I guess this is an interview of sorts.

I stand in front of a door that has “Principal Steele” written on it. My hand hovers above the door handle for a bit, before I decide to knock on the door

"You must be Isis" I was shocked by the sudden voice behind me. I turned around and was met with a tall white woman with black hair, brown eyes and delicate features.
"Y-yes ma'am" I said stuttering, slightly intimidated by the woman
"It's lovely to meet you, I'm Principal Steele, shall we talk in my office?" She asked as she unlocked the door.

I said nothing and just followed behind her as she entered the well furnished office. It had a big, chocolate brown wooden table, wine red carpets and curtains and a red velvet sofa in the left corner.

"Please, have a seat" the lady spoke, getting her coffee machine started.

I sat on the red sofa and started twiddling my thumbs when Ms Steele brought me a cup of coffee.

"Thank you ma'am" I said, taking the cup.

"Miss Isis Kingston, I'm sure you'd love to know why I've called you here. Well, as I'm sure you know, you will be coming to our school on a scholarship" she spoke, sitting at her desk

"Yes ma'am, I am aware and very grateful for this opportunity. But I'm a little confused about something." I paused "I read that one of the requirements of the contract is that I take part of one extramural activity of the school's choosing?" I said.

"Ah yes, this is precisely why I've called you here. We have heard from your previous school about your interest in art, both visual and performing, thus you will have to teach arts to a group of boys twice a week after school" Ms Steele said with I grin. I smiled too "Does that sound fair?"

"Yes!" I said a bit louder than intended. "Y-yes ma'am, again I'm very grateful" I said, regaining my composure.

This sounds... Interesting.

"Well then! Acacia Academy can't wait to have you with us from tomorrow!" She said with a giggle.

I excused myself from her office and did a little dance all across the marble floors and into the Uber I'd requested to take me home.

I'm so excited to be starting at Acacia Academy. It's way fancier than the old school I used to go to. I still live in the hood though, I just got a scholarship to be able to go to Acacia. I'm really glad I'll get paid for my "tutoring". I also work at a burger joint in my neighborhood on weekends, so I should be able to get through school without feeling too left out.

I prepare my uniform for the week and look at my mom who has teary eyes. Acacia has an option to board so I've decided to board in order to cut travel costs.

My mom and I get in the car after loading everything I'll need in it and I keep sneaking glances at the strong features on her honey-gold skin.

"Mama, don't be too sad, you'll see me every weekend" I say with a chuckle
"I know baby" she said with a teary smile "I'm just so proud of you"
"Thanks Mommy" I say rubbing her calloused hand.

We pulled up to the school. My mom parked the car and helped me put some of my belongings in the dorm I'd be staying in. It has four bunk beds, which means I'll have three other roommates.

I got here pretty early, so I was unpacking some of my things while my mom spoken to the Principal.
My mom came back into my dorm and handed me a phone.

"This is yours" she said "The school allows phones and I figured that maybe you'd wanna talk to me sometimes"

I squealed and gave her a bone crushing hug.

"Thank you Mommy, for everything"

I got out and waved bye to her car as she left. I decided to skip dinner because I was too jumpy. A lot of other kids have arrived here, but none from my dorm. Guess I'm spending my first night alone.

I took a shower and got into one of the top bunks. I set an alarm on my new phone and let sleep overtake me.