Chapter Nineteen

Aphmau Pov:
I didn't know what to do about Ein. The guys had vanished into his room for the entire day, and when they came out Aaron and Ein were suddenly best friends.

Ein had ruined my life. But was this the same person? He seemed so different, similar to how he had acted in high school. But back then he had supposedly been faking the entire time. Now, I had no idea.

I tossed and turned in bed that night. The sight of those glowing green eyes, despite Zane's reassurances that Ein wasn't going to try anything, had sent images crashing through my head.

When I finally fell asleep, those memories replayed over and over. My loss of control when the Forever Potion was used on me. Aaron lying in the snow, moments away from death. Aaron letting his eyes go red in a desperate attempt to save me, a bolt of green energy. Those same eyes frantically holding my gaze as the life slipped from my body.

And then he was there. Hugging me and stroking my hair. Tears streamed down my face.

"Shh, it's alright. You're okay." He whispered. "I don't know what you were dreaming about, but it was just that. A dream. You are here with me, and you're safe."

Aaron Pov:
I woke up to whimpers coming from down the hall. I was rather surprised the noise had woken me, but the sounds were slowly growing louder. I pushed aside the covers on my bed and felt my way to the door. Opening it, I padded quietly down the hall. As I reached the door the cries were coming from, I realized it was Aphmau's room. A scream broke out. My heart started to race and I slammed the door open.

Footsteps came running down the hall, and my sisters voice spoke beside me. I smelled Lucinda coming right behind her. "What's going on?!"

Lucinda answered her. "She's having a nightmare."

I immediately ran into the room, amazingly not tripping over anything. I sat on the bed beside Aphmau, and gathered her shaking body in my arms.

I whispered into her ear to calm her down, not even knowing what I was saying.

After a few minutes, her breathing had slowed and her heaving sobs had turned to quiet hiccups.

"Are you okay now?" I asked, and scolded myself. She's obviously not okay! Idiot!

"I-I'm fine." she murmured, pulling away slightly. I kept my arms around her though, and helped her sit up.

There was a creak as someone sat down on the bed on my other side; they passed me a box of tissues. I pulled one out and found Aph's face, wiping away the tears.

"Thanks." She whispered. I crumpled up the tissue and tossed it to the person that handed the box to me. I didn't know if they had caught it, and I didn't care. Aphmau buried her head in my chest and I hugged her close.

"It was horrible." She whimpered. "All those memories coming back at once... I can't..."

"Can we be alone?" I asked the room. There were quiet shuffles of feet before the door closed. "I can hear you outside the door." I called.

"Damn it!" Melissa muttered, and she finally left.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked Aphmau.

"I-I don't know. It would feel nice to get it off my chest, but I'm not sure I can tell what happened without breaking down again."

"Then just go slow. If it feels like it's getting too much for you, pause and take a breath. Remember, you're safe here with me."

She took a deep breath. "Okay. I'll tell you the story..."

Sorry I haven't published in a while, I had family business to take care of.

See ya!

-Mags