15

McKenzie wasn't too delighted to be going to a party. She was worried about what society would think. I convinced her with a reminder that 'society' didn't know the personal hell that Sean had put her through and that she deserved to have a little bit of fun. We got ready at her place. She lived on an estate in a mansion that Sean had designed and built for her.

I brought a selection of the fanciest dresses that I owned. The red dress I had worn the night before might have worked, but it smelled of cigarette smoke and beer. After one look at my sad collection of rags McKenzie insisted that I pick one of her designer dresses to wear. Mac opened a bottle of champagne and we sipped it as we got ready. "I see you haven't lost your taste for the finer things in life," I said as we clinked our flutes together. "Sean put money in a trust for me," she winked, as though she were sharing a secret with me, and opened her walk-in closet. "They can't touch what's mine." The closet was another room, each wall except one, because it was a window, had clothing rails, drawers and shelves that spent the length of them, filled with clothes. There were shoe racks and two islands that displayed all her jewellery.
I eyed all her dresses while she picked out an outfit. Her shelves and her racks were sorted by the colour of the rainbow. Everything was in its place, neat as a pin, unlike McKenzie's life. She lifted a champagne-coloured dress off the rail and brought it over to me. It still had the tag on. "This would suit you," she said placing the sparkly material over my arms. "Try it on." The material felt like water. I turned the tag and nearly spat my champagne out. It cost more than what I paid for rent a month. "I can't wear this," I gaped at her. "What if it gets ruined? I could never afford to replace it!" "Really, don't worry about it. It's not even the most expensive thing I own." She said pulling out a white Oscar De La Renta dress. My mouth fell open even wider. "Besides I owe you more than a stupid dress." This amount of money to spend on clothing was ridiculous but I went into the bathroom and tried on the dress. It was tight fitting and not exactly my style, but the material felt so soft and cool against my skin. Without knocking McKenzie came into the bathroom. She let out a gasp, "You look amazing!" "I don't know," I said inspecting my open back in the mirror. "Isn't it a little bit too much?" "You are wearing that dress tonight, you look gorgeous!" McKenzie had on a black cocktail dress with the highest Louboutin heals I'd ever seen. We did our makeup and I left my dark hair down and straight.

The party was in the city and an hour from where McKenzie lived. She ordered an UberBlack to pick us up. I checked my phone again but still, there was nothing from Chris. I vowed to put him out of my head the rest of the night. Knowing Patrick's friends there would be no straight men at the party and that was fine by me. I could only take so much rejection in one weekend.