29

Another week went by uneventfully. Shannon had her second to last dress fitting which she only her mom was going to, "If I don't do it, she'll end up comparing herself to Richard's mom and cry about how I've left her out of the entire wedding." She said to me over the phone on Wednesday evening. "Urg that sounds terrible, weddings really can make even sane people irrational," I said filing my nails which looked disastrous. "Tell me about it! By the way, I haven't asked because I didn't want to put salt into an open wound, but how are you doing with all the Luca stuff?" She had slipped that in so neatly that the question took me a bit by surprise. I thought that I had hidden how I felt pretty well but clearly, that was not the case. "I'm okay actually," I lied, Shannon had asked earnestly but how could I explain that my behaviour was as irrational as her mother's? The Monday after the Bachelorette party I was minding my business scrolling through Facebook, when I saw that someone had shared an article about Mercury Photography, the photo that accompanied it was in black and white with Luca in the middle and a crew of about eight others next to him on either side. My stomach filled with dread and I closed the app immediately. For two days after that, I could not stop thinking about him. Like when I went to the grocery store I thought about the kind of vegetables he might eat. Then when I got my car washed I wondered what kind of car he had because I had never seen it. I was driving myself insane. "Really he could pass me on the street and I would walk right by." I continued the deception. "Right," she said sceptically, "You can talk to me, you know, about anything." She offered.                                                                                                                                                                                      "I know."