47

Detective Sanchez phoned me the next day to let me know that there had been no further progress but assured me that unmarked police vehicles were patrolling around me every hour.

I decided against telling detective Sanchez about the wedding because I figured that at the wedding I wouldn't be alone and I didn't want to worry about the police breaking the door down again. One afternoon, while I was teaching, an urgent announcement came over the intercom calling me to the office. I ran thinking that something bad had happened but I found my principal, stone-faced, watching policemen on the cameras breaking through the school gate and attacking one of the teachers who looked similar to Robert.

Eventually, the teacher showed them his identity and managed to convince the policemen that they had the wrong guy. I had never felt so embarrassed in my life.

There was enough going on in my life, I didn't need to still worry about policemen breaking into the chapel and turning the wedding into a spectacle.

As such, I kept the rehearsal dinner a secret too. My heart skipped a beat every time I thought about the wedding. Luca had given me until Saturday, which meant that he would be at the wedding. It gave me a tiny tingle of joy thinking about him.

"You are like a brand new woman," McKenzie commented slipping into her black stiletto pumps, as we got ready for the rehearsal dinner. The dress code was semi-formal. McKenzie wore expensive-looking high-waist black pants with a bow in the front and a white spaghetti strap top. She looked chic and sophisticated. I was still rummaging around her massive closet to try and find something to wear. Finally, I settled on a fitted, black sequin cocktail dress, with a deep V-neckline and long sleeves. The skirt fit snugly mid-thigh and it was a little shorter than what I would have normally chosen. However, I felt a bit adventurous and sexy.

"Mama mia!" McKenzie said as I walked out of the closet in the dress and metallic-silver high-heels. She wolf-whistled as I spun around, "Looking good! Is this to impress a certain photographer?" she wagged her eyebrows up and down a few times.

I smiled broadly and said, "No."

"You are such a liar!" she teased as I pulled my hair up and twisted it into a neat bun on the top of my head. Of course, I was dressed up in case Luca would be there but I wasn't going to admit it. Thinking of him still made me feel extremely nervous.

Eventually, we left the house and made our way to a very fancy restaurant an hour's drive away. It was very posh and when you ordered the steak they would bring out a cart and basically set it alight and your food would be cooked right in front of you. Almost like hibachi, except much more expensive.

Upon walking into the restaurant we were greeted by a waiter dressed in a tuxedo offering us champagne. Richard's family had booked out the entire restaurant for the occasion. The restaurant had about twenty tables which were decked in white table cloths and the most beautiful flower arrangements adorned the centre. Guests were still filtering in and the bride and groom had not yet arrived. We were seated at the bridesmaids' table and only Alexi was there sipping on neat vodka.

"Hello ladies," she said in her usual monotone, "How are you this fine evening?"

"We're doing well thanks, how about you?" I replied as I pulled my chair in.

"Fine, fine. I see the giantess is late?" McKenzie snorted on her champagne and nearly started coughing. Alexi was definitely referring to Viola.

"Yeah I guess Vi is a bit late," I said trying to stifle my own laughter. A commotion at the door drew our attention and sure enough, it was the giantess accompanied by a woman whom I didn't recognise but who was heavily pregnant.

"Frikkin' trust Viola to make everything about her!" McKenzie was fuming and I was a bit annoyed myself but I couldn't be too mad because I had made a lot about myself lately too.

"Give her a break," I said, "It's her first child."

"Sure," McKenzie said sarcastically, "She looks exhausted from that pregnancy. That poor girl," we turned our attention to the surrogate who looked like she was ready to pass out. Dark circles framed her eyes and her shoulders were clearly slumped, "It must be exhausting carrying the spawn of Hades."

It was Alexi's turn to giggle which sounded much like a frog ribbiting but before I could respond we were greeted by Viola and her surrogate, "Ladies!" Viola nearly shouted, "This is Sarah. She's our surrogate!"

"I would never have guessed," McKenzie quipped.

"Wow, nice to meet you!" I said getting to my feet to hug Viola and then Sarah. McKenzie shook Sarah's hand but practically ignored Viola, who didn't seem to care because she was beaming from ear to ear.

"This table only has four seats," Viola said counting the chairs, "This simply won't do."

"Did you tell Shannon and Richard that you were bringing a guest?" McKenzie asked.

"No man, it doesn't matter! Alexi will just scoot, won't you Alex?" Viola said tapping Alexi on the arm.

"Sure," Alexi said robotically and stood up.

"No, Alexi you aren't going anywhere," McKenzie said pulling her down, "You have every right to be here. You are a bridesmaid." I knew she was trying to prove a point but the poor pregnant lady looked close to passing out!

Viola's eyes nearly popped out of her head.

"That is okay," Alexi said standing up again, "If I go sit by the bar I'll have a better view of the hot photographer. I think we had a connection earlier."

The hot photographer. She could only mean one person, heat burnt my stomach at the thought of seeing Luca. McKenzie looked at me with a smirk and she let Alexi leave. My eyes followed her to the bar in anticipation. I saw her sit down and turn her body off towards the left. I slowly let my eyes follow the direction she was facing. There he was: the photographer. His strawberry-blond hair glinted with every flash of his camera. Inexplicable relief and disappointment both flooded my body. We watched Alexi intently as she joined the line for the photo booth that the strawberry-blond was manning. Unfortunately, she chose a pair of plastic glasses with a fake nose and moustache and waited for her turn to be shot. It was comical to watch her put the glasses on and smooth out her hair, all the while watching the photographer intently. Meanwhile, Viola and hersurrogate were discussing a birthing plan when suddenly they went still.