52

Driving out the gate I saw the police vehicle parked outside on thegrassy patch of sidewalk outside the complex. I had parked next to it and oneof the officers inside opened the window. "Good morning ma'am," the officer greeted mepolitely. "Good morning," I responded, "I need todo a few things this morning for the wedding. Are you okay with that?" "Yes ma'am. We will escort you until thetime of the wedding and then the motor units will escort you and thewedding party to the chapel and to the reception. We were informed thatpersonal protection would also be readily available there." "Thank you," I said feeling marginallyrelieved at their presence. Hopefully, this wedding would go off without a hitchand no unwarranted attention would be brought to me. This was Shannon's specialday. It was not the time for me to be murdered. I spent the morning picking upthe flowers and bouquets and champagne. I got snacks and stopped at the shop toget Shannon's mom a packet of cigarettes after she had called me and asked meto pick them up for her, "It's the stress, you know," she breathed into thephone. I assumed that Shannon's dad disapproved of her smoking habits becauseshe added, "Please be discreet about it". Then I made my way to the receptionhall to drop off the flowers and see if I could help out with any last-minutethings. The hall looked beautiful. It was being held at the old country clubwhich had recently been renovated. The back wall, which was a row of longpanelled glass, looked out onto the pristine grass of the golf course.Hardwood floor spanned the length of the hall and the round tables were decoratedsimply with white table cloths and gold accents which almost matched the goldof the bridesmaids' dresses. Deep red roses were elaborately arranged in thecentrepieces. It was very effective even though it was understated. The high ceilingshad revealed beams from which golden white fairy lights had been draped, andthe soft light almost made it look like the night sky. It was beautiful. Thewedding planner seemed to have everything under control. So I made my way overto the bridal suite to get ready. All the while my police escort followed mearound without complaint. Upon entering the room, however, something felt off.Shannon's mother must have bummed a smoke from Alexi because she was feverishlypulling on a cigarette and blowing smoke out the window. McKenzie was pacingback and forth with her phone to her ear and she was speaking in hushed tonesto someone on the other side. I noticed that Viola and Sarah weren't there yetand Alexi was playing candy crush on her phone. The hair and makeup people werestanding to one side looking awkwardly around the room. An icy dread filled mybones, "What's happened?" "Wow you are good," Alexi said lookingup from her phone, off-handedly "Shannon's missing," she added off-handedly.