16

The car pulled up to a gate manned by guards. I poked my head out and told them my name and the mechanical gates opened up to reveal a house that rivalled McKenzie's in size. The driveway alone was twice the length of an Olympic swimming pool and had a circle around a fountain where the cars could drop of the guests and circle back out. It was like something out of a romance novel. "Wow," was all McKenzie said as we walked up the marbled stairs to the enormous front door. The atrium we entered was lined with expensive artwork and there was a waiter dressed in white and black serving pink champagne at the door. When Patrick had said formal he failed to mention that it would be black-tie formal. The men were dressed in tuxedos and other expensive looking suits and the ladies were in designer gowns. Initially, I thought I'd be overdressed, looking down at my dress I sent a silent prayer of thanks for McKenzie and her ostentatious taste. My red dress, which I thought was fancy, would have looked like a summer sundress among this crowd. "What's the occasion?" McKenzie asked swirling her champagne flute around. She fit right in. "I don't know, Patrick just said it was a party," I said scanning the crowd for his bleached-blond head. "C'mon," I hooked my arm in hers, "Let's see if we can find him." We waded our way through the crowd of people talking and laughing. My eye caught a cake on a table in the corner of the room. The cake topper was of two men side by side with two rings overlapping at their feet. This was Legrey's engagement party. Over the hum of voices, a shrill voice called out "McKenzie!" McKenzie's head snapped in the direction of the voice, "Oh no, no, no," she said as a tall blond woman in a floor-length red dress sashayed her way towards us. "It's Regina, from the real housewives, I know her through Sean." "McKenzie, darling, how are you?" she asked tipping her head to one side in sympathy. I heard McKenzie swallow beside me before she answered, "Gina! I'm good," just a little too brightly. They air-kissed each other on both cheeks and 'Gina' didn't so much as give me a second glance. "What's going on with this business with Sean? I always thought he was up to no good. He tried to hook Gerald into one of his schemes. Are you alright?" Regina genuinely looked concerned for McKenzie, almost as though she knew what we knew. McKenzie let out a sigh of relief that no one was blaming her and launched into the story of her husband's demise. I unhooked my arm from hers and said, "Excuse me, ladies, I'm going to find the restroom." McKenzie nodded at me in recognition but carried on telling Regina her story. Regina didn't even know I existed.

I took a canapé from a waiter and made my way to find Patrick. I'd texted him when we arrived but he blue ticked me. I tried to call him but he didn't answer. I made my way to the outside deck which overlooked an even more enormous garden. The square swimming pool was completely lit up and there were fairy lights strung up on the branches of trees that lined it. On the deck, there was a champagne fountain and more fabulous people were mingling. There was a photo booth set up on the left-hand side of the deck. I made my way over there to see the people posing with different props. For such a formal party the photo booth seemed a bit tacky but I had to admit that it took a lot of restraint for me not get my photo taken with a fake moustache. That's when I spied a familiar figure. I stopped dead in my tracks but before I could turn around and hide the figure turned around and our eyes met.